Thermostat Questions

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question, but how big is the hole in the thermostat gasket supposed to be?

I bought a felpro 35063 gasket and placed it over my thermostat and it barely overlaps the edge. I'm thinking either the thermostat is too small, or the gasket hole is too large.

btw- when I place the thermostat in the upside-down housing, there is a gap between the edge of the t-stat and the outside of the recess in the housing. Isn't it supposed to be tight??

How much gasket overlap should there be between the gasket and the t-stat?

Thanks guys. It's been years since I've swapped out t-stats and my memory is fading. The FSM wasn't too helpful this time either.

Put the thermostat in the housing and then the gasket goes on under the thermostat and holds the housing in place.

Put the thermostat in the housing and then the gasket goes on under the thermostat and holds the housing in place.

I realize that. I was just curious because the t-stat isn't tight in the housing. Plus, the gasket doesn't overhang the t-stat by very much. I was just trying to figure out if I have either the wrong gasket, or the wrong t-stat.

should not really matter as long as the t-stat doesn't slip out and get between the housing and manifold....

-
Back