thin cylinder walls on a 440?

-

USMC1968

Reaction score
I was wondering in anyone had any info as to a rumor I heard about some early 70's 440 blocks having thin cylinder walls from the manufacturer? My plans are to build a 440 blower motor and this would definitely be something nice to know. I am in the Marine Corps and currently in Afghanistan trying to get an idea of what all to get in line for the block I have. I haven't had the chance to get it to a machine shop to be checked out yet, but my block is a 72 and am wondering if I should begin looking for another starter block.

USMC, I don't have the answer to your question but wanted to thank you for the work you are doing over there. Just a few days ago, I was looking at all my car magazines and was wondering if there were any car nuts over there that might be interested in them. If you or anyone you know might enjoy them, PM (personal message) me with an address and I will get some out to you. The majority are Mopar mags but I have a few Brand-X ones as well.

There are no "thin wall" 440 blocks. One of the magazines had blocks tested several years back and the walls are the same thickness.

BUT........there are some stiffening ribs on the outside of the block that were left off of the later blocks making them a bit lighter. I would guess that wouldn't matter unless you were wanting to build some monster piece for racing. Then you would probably use a block filler which would fix that issue.

There were no thin wall 440s. The later blocks have the reinforcement ribs and stronger motor mount ears. The earlier blocks do not. However, it is believed the earlier blocks had a higher nickel content for extra strength. This info is accurate:

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

I'd like to that USMC1968 for his service to our country.

I am going to be sending USMC1968 a stash of car magazines for him and his buddies to read (along with some home-made chocolate chip cookies if they allow it). Would anyone else be interested in sending over mags that they are finished reading so these guys have something to look at until they get home?

It was only the 400 blocks that had thinner walls in the later castings right?

I am going to be sending USMC1968 a stash of car magazines for him and his buddies to read (along with some home-made chocolate chip cookies if they allow it). Would anyone else be interested in sending over mags that they are finished reading so these guys have something to look at until they get home?

PM me the address. I have a bunch I'd like to send.

It was only the 400 blocks that had thinner walls in the later castings right?

The first I have heard of this? And it concerns me as I am currently tearing down 2 400 Blocks to rebuild for the Duster. Do you know what years that the 400's had the thinner walls? Lets see if I can remember.....One engine I have is out of a 72 3/4 Ton truck and the other out of a 73 Newport?? I think.

This might determine what block I use for the 502 ci Stroker build later. =P~

P.S. Sorry to hijack your thread USMC1968 but the older I get the faster I have to act on questions or Ideas before I forget them. :O

No such thing as thicker or thinner. In any B or RB. The cold climate 400 "230" blocks are a thicker block because of the propensity to freeze crack in bitter cold. Those generally have thicker cylinder walls. Everythign else is a cr_p shoot. If you are really worried, or exceeding (realistically) 550hp or increasing stroke beyond 3.75, then have the block sonic tested by someone who knows how to use it. Then you'll know.

No such thing as thicker or thinner. In any B or RB. The cold climate 400 "230" blocks are a thicker block because of the propensity to freeze crack in bitter cold. Those generally have thicker cylinder walls. Everythign else is a cr_p shoot. If you are really worried, or exceeding (realistically) 550hp or increasing stroke beyond 3.75, then have the block sonic tested by someone who knows how to use it. Then you'll know.

Thanks for the info Moper, And yes eventually I'm going to get my Duster into the Pro Gas bracket. Not sure If I Have the money or balls to get into Comp with it but might try. 8)

I was just checking back.. somethign to think about.. A bracket class where you're slowing the car with a stop is MUCH harder on an engine than simple flat out and staggered trees. I dont recall what Gas is.. But Comp, I'd step up to a new block and overbuild the lower end. Then the top end can be cahnged as you grow.

-
Back