Things Change.. Butters is now getting a 392

-
I hope I wasn’t the only one that noticed the “add oil” tape on the steering wheel.
:lol:

I hope I wasn’t the only one that noticed the “add oil” tape on the steering wheel.
:lol:
I was wondering who'd be the first to call that out.. I left it because I still needed to top trans and PS.

I was wondering who'd be the first to call that out.. I left it because I still needed to top trans and PS.
I’ve forgotten to take a note off after filling the oil then started the engine and questioned myself when I notice it. It’s always a come to Jesus moment.

I’ve forgotten to take a note off after filling the oil then started the engine and questioned myself when I notice it. It’s always a come to Jesus moment.
I had bit of an embarrassing moment with this one.. Being used to 5.7s, I primed and filled with 5w20 synthetic. As I was putting the oil cap on, I noticed the cap said 0w40 synthetic. DOH! S0, it got an oil change after a few starts anyway.

I couldn't wait until the weekend to test the new pedal sensor.. Dying to hear it Rev!

I slapped my new trans cooler lines on, cleared codes and fired it up, hoping that the switching 2 wires on my plug had taken care of it. I was still getting a app sensor code and no Rev.. But it was reading percentages on scanner. Odd but since someone had graciously sent me a replacement, I plugged it in and bada bing, bada boom... Revs! . New sensor worked perfectly, so I'll get it installed this weekend. While it was running, I went ahead and topped off trans fluid and let it run through a heat cycle.. Fans kicked on about 180, no leaks and now a big grin on my fugly face.

More buttoning up this weekend.. Master cyl, battery enclosure, PS system pressure testing etc. Hitting the scrap yard Saturday to grab a 8.8

Last edited:
I couldn't wait until the weekend to test the new pedal sensor.. Dying to hear it Rev!

I slapped my new trans cooler lines on, cleared codes and fired it up, hoping that the switching 2 wires on my plug had taken care of it. I was still getting a app sensor code and no Rev.. But it was reading percentages on scanner. Odd but since someone had graciously sent me a replacement, I plugged it in and bada bing, bada boom... Revs! . New sensor worked perfectly, so I'll get it installed this weekend. While it was running, I went ahead and topped off trans fluid and let it run through a heat cycle.. Fans kicked on about 180, no leaks and now a big grin on my fugly face.

More buttoning up this weekend.. Master cyl, battery enclosure, PS system pressure testing etc. Hitting the scrap yard Saturday to grab a 8.8

1710431733956.png

Monday update..

Saturday, I went to Pull A Part in Indy to track down an Explorer 8.8. What I kept finding was crazy.. Out of probably 15 Explorers, every one of them was missing the drivers side axle. It made me think that I had the wrong plan.. Asking myself "do I have it backwards??" After reassuring myself (thank you Google), I wasn't. So I grabbed a pass side axle out of one and tossed it in an empty hole on another axle and called it complete. Essentially, it made my mission easier. They charged me $103 plus $17 core for the whole thing. Grabbed a pedal position denser and plug out of a Mercedes so I'd have a spare for my bellcrank setup.. No Rams the right year with one

I had to spend some time Sunday, just getting my **** together.. Shop was a mess. After a few hours of adhd, I got it kinda straightened up. I then worked on getting my power steering pressure where I wanted it. The Borges box wants 1100-1250. I found stick pressure to be around 1700. Tried a combination of a Camry pressure reducer, washers etc. And it was still way to high. Had a Sublime reducer sittjng there that tested at 8-850. Decided to tinker with it, remover the thicker of the two washers and ended up at 1100ish. Bingo!

This week, I'll prep for the upcoming 8.8 narrowing...

Screenshot_20240318-160823_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240318-160838_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240318-160853_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240318-160902_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240318-160925_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240318-160941_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240318-161053_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240318-160358_Gallery.jpg

Monday update..

Saturday, I went to Pull A Part in Indy to track down an Explorer 8.8. What I kept finding was crazy.. Out of probably 15 Explorers, every one of them was missing the drivers side axle. It made me think that I had the wrong plan.. Asking myself "do I have it backwards??" After reassuring myself (thank you Google), I wasn't. So I grabbed a pass side axle out of one and tossed it in an empty hole on another axle and called it complete. Essentially, it made my mission easier. They charged me $103 plus $17 core for the whole thing. Grabbed a pedal position denser and plug out of a Mercedes so I'd have a spare for my bellcrank setup.. No Rams the right year with one

I had to spend some time Sunday, just getting my **** together.. Shop was a mess. After a few hours of adhd, I got it kinda straightened up. I then worked on getting my power steering pressure where I wanted it. The Borges box wants 1100-1250. I found stick pressure to be around 1700. Tried a combination of a Camry pressure reducer, washers etc. And it was still way to high. Had a Sublime reducer sittjng there that tested at 8-850. Decided to tinker with it, remover the thicker of the two washers and ended up at 1100ish. Bingo!

This week, I'll prep for the upcoming 8.8 narrowing...

View attachment 1716223453

View attachment 1716223454

View attachment 1716223455

View attachment 1716223456

View attachment 1716223457

View attachment 1716223458

View attachment 1716223459

View attachment 1716223460

Little surprised that Sublime hasn’t worked out a kit for the Borgeson box yet.

I'm dealing with power steering parts sourcing right now. Sublime has the pressure reducing valves, but refer you to Turn 1 steering on their page for the flow control valve. Unfortunately it looks like they are out of stock. I had planned on getting the pressure reducing valve from pull a part, but there aren't any cars there right now that would have the valve I need. I guess I'll just get it from Sublime and call turn 1. From what I've found online, the steering rack wants 850 psi and 2-3gpm.

He's currently designing a flow control valve.. I sent him a video of his (modified) pressure valve, so that's something for him to consider

I'm dealing with power steering parts sourcing right now. Sublime has the pressure reducing valves, but refer you to Turn 1 steering on their page for the flow control valve. Unfortunately it looks like they are out of stock. I had planned on getting the pressure reducing valve from pull a part, but there aren't any cars there right now that would have the valve I need. I guess I'll just get it from Sublime and call turn 1. From what I've found online, the steering rack wants 850 psi and 2-3gpm.
Reach out to sublime on that flow control.. He has one in the works

BTW, I do recall turn 1 stating that they would have sock again by mid to late March. I was lucky enough that Blake at Sublime has a spare that he sold me. Even tho it was a 2.5, it was reading a little lower than that on my analyzer...but I think I'm fine. If you want to test your system, I don't mind loaning you an analyzer.. You seem pretty legit :thumbsup:

Here's what Blake had to say about the one he's developing, when we were talking a month ago

Screenshot_20240318-210005_Messenger.jpg

BTW, I do recall turn 1 stating that they would have sock again by mid to late March. I was lucky enough that Blake at Sublime has a spare that he sold me. Even tho it was a 2.5, it was reading a little lower than that on my analyzer...but I think I'm fine. If you want to test your system, I don't mind loaning you an analyzer.. You seem pretty legit :thumbsup:

Here's what Blake had to say about the one he's developing, when we were talking a month ago

View attachment 1716223839
Nice. Blake is about an hour from me. I've known about him for a while but never met him until last year at Moparty. I need some things from him, so I'll likely chat with him about this also. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know he was working on this.

Pulled out the 7-1/4, narrowed my 8.8 this weekend and got the perches on. I set it in and was going to set the pinion angle but it just wasn't possible with the car in the air and i don't have the plates yet. So I just set the perches like a A body 8-3/4 and welded them on. If I need to shim for a lite bigger angle, it's no biggie.

I will say that these rear ends kick my ***! It's alot to wrastle solo

Screenshot_20240324-235107_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-235212_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-235248_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-235323_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-235404_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-235559_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-235623_Gallery.jpg

Nice one, is a 8.8 a 8 and 3/4? Or different again? Are you shortening to fit more tyre or because a B body diff etc

Pulled out the 7-1/4, narrowed my 8.8 this weekend and got the perches on. I set it in and was going to set the pinion angle but it just wasn't possible with the car in the air and i don't have the plates yet. So I just set the perches like a A body 8-3/4 and welded them on. If I need to shim for a lite bigger angle, it's no biggie.

View attachment 1716226618

View attachment 1716226619

View attachment 1716226620

View attachment 1716226621

View attachment 1716226622

View attachment 1716226623

View attachment 1716226624
If you lived closer, I'd give you a hand!!

Nice one, is a 8.8 a 8 and 3/4? Or different again? Are you shortening to fit more tyre or because a B body diff etc
It's an 8.8 out of a Ford explorer. Alot of them were LSD and all explorers have a 31 spline axle and 95 up are disc brake. Pretty common swap in the states for alot of hot rodders. Explorers went to IRS in 02 with the exception of a few sub models.

2-7/8" of the drivers side tube is cut out, making the drivers side an equal length to the passenger side. Then a passenger side axle is used in the drivers side. It's almost identical width of an A body, hub to hub when completed.. Just a fuzz narrower. So, I built a solid lsd, with disc brakes (5 x 4-1/2 studs) for under $200 with new seals, perches etc. Swapping gears to 3.23 so add a few hundred more. As opposed to near $1500 for an A body.. Even building a b body will run ya a grand to build with the same specs.

Alot of videos and write ups. Here's a good one..

It's an 8.8 out of a Ford explorer. Alot of them were LSD and all explorers have a 31 spline axle and 95 up are disc brake. Pretty common swap in the states for alot of hot rodders. Explorers went to IRS in 02 with the exception of a few sub models.

2-7/8" of the drivers side tube is cut out, making the drivers side an equal length to the passenger side. Then a passenger side axle is used in the drivers side. It's almost identical width of an A body, hub to hub when completed.. Just a fuzz narrower. So, I built a solid lsd, with disc brakes (5 x 4-1/2 studs) for under $200 with new seals, perches etc. Swapping gears to 3.23 so add a few hundred more. As opposed to near $1500 for an A body.. Even building a b body will run ya a grand to build with the same specs.

Alot of videos and write ups. Here's a good one..

Dont bully me with your prices hahah. I paid 900 aus for a B body 8 3/4, jesus christ they are heavy as hell nearly blew my a hole out lifting it. To make it even more expensive my gladiator broke down on way to pick it up so thats fun. Just done a trutrac centre and the standard gears for now (Think around a 3.4), will swap gears down the track once chasing times. Hopefully the trutrac holds together i killed one in my ute but it was due to blowing a pinion gear to kingdom come etc.
Seen a lot of articles about the Ford Exploder diff looks like very good bang for buck conversion, sadly none here lol

Dont bully me with your prices hahah. I paid 900 aus for a B body 8 3/4, jesus christ they are heavy as hell nearly blew my a hole out lifting it. To make it even more expensive my gladiator broke down on way to pick it up so thats fun. Just done a trutrac centre and the standard gears for now (Think around a 3.4), will swap gears down the track once chasing times. Hopefully the trutrac holds together i killed one in my ute but it was due to blowing a pinion gear to kingdom come etc.
Seen a lot of articles about the Ford Exploder diff looks like very good bang for buck conversion, sadly none here lol
Yea prices are crazy everywhere.. 5-800 just for a good 8-3/4 center section. So even if a guy narrows a free b body housing, he's looking at a grand for center section and axles. I did come across a decent deal for a complete A body with one wheel peel for $400..but it was 7 hours away. I'd still be over a grand by the time I found a center section.. Considering fuel etc. If was next door, I would've grabbed it

I don't know if you have any Mazda trucks down there, but some of them came with an 8.8.. That might not need narrowing

View attachment 1716226618

View attachment 1716226619

View attachment 1716226620

View attachment 1716226621

View attachment 1716226622

View attachment 1716226623

View attachment 1716226624
What's the overall width, rotor face to rotor face?

-
Back