Things to do in Florida?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
I am down from Canada visiting my wifes grandparents in Florida (Lakeland) and was wondering if anyone had ideas on things to do. We are here for another 9 days. thanks.

Are you a fisherman? Your down there at the best time of the year for bass fishing. Does a 10lb Largemouth interest you? 1/2 day charters are reasonable.
Or tour some wineries, its free and you get to sample quite a few types.
Just enjoy the weather, sit around a pool, drink some brews, its 36 here.

There are "Cruise-Ins" all over the place down here........You just missed a big one in Plant City today...that was the monthly, with hundreds of cars from all over central Florida. In Zephyrhills, about 20 minutes from you, there is a Cruise-In on Tuesday evening starting at 5 or so in the parking lot of Lupton's BBQ on 301.

I'm trying to think in the window of 9 days,,,,,,,,,,, Get on the computer and type in Kelly's Cruise News, and go to the events section........You probably have Cruises scheduled right there in Lakeland..............Kelly's is the most complete list there is down here. Lots of action. Dade City is a monster show too, but it's the first Saturday of the month.

Up the road in Ocala is the big Don Garlits "No Billet" show today & maybe tomorrow.....held at the museum.......Pre-64 home-built rods and customs for this one....no modern billet stuff allowed.

Florida is full of this stuff. Check Kelly's ! :toothy10:

Don't forgrt the cruise-in right now at Old Towne in Kissimmee.
I-4 East to US192 and head east towards Kissimmee. Go about 2 miles and look for the big Ferris Wheel on the right. Family friendly with stuff for kids and shopping for women. Very Nice !!!

Lots of good ideas guys thanks, keep em comin. I will check out some cruise nights, we do plan on going to Universal Studios sometime. thanks again!

If you're into historic drag cars, you can't miss the Garlits museum of Drag Racing. Allow yourself 3-4 hours to see it. Best not to take the wife and kids, they just don't understand.

Daytona International Speedway will be hosting the annual Spring Car & Swap meet this weekend, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. If your up to it and "FIT" give it a try, you won't be disapointed!!!!! Old Town is also a must if you have time, again you won't be disappointed... Enjoy you time here, good luck.\\:D/

I am down from Canada visiting my wifes grandparents in Florida (Lakeland) and was wondering if anyone had ideas on things to do. We are here for another 9 days. thanks.

Run from Gators
Get sun screen

OK duckin and runnin......

Go to where the babes are, it's SPRING BREAK!!!!!!

Talk to girl, pose with MoPars, get photo's.

Talk to drunk girls, get photos next to MoPars or anything with a lack of cloths, post in Blue room.

Come back for bike week.

i always went to gatorland zoo off 441 in kissimee. also wekiva springs in altomonte springs is beautiful and we canoed it years back. orlando speed world where they have the worlds fastest street car shootout is cool.shoot down south to boyton beach and they have half day deep sea fishing charters around 50 dollars a head. you only go out a mile and youre in 100 foot water. very cool experience. Last but not least is the jai lai fronton. fastest game in the world with horse type betting and really cheap beer in an air conditioned building.where we,d hide on really hot days for the matinee games.I lived near Orlando. There may be something happening at the Lakeland civic center too. enjoy.

Is the cruise in at Lupton's BBQ 5130 Gall Blvd
Zephyrhills, FL 33542 ? I have a GPS and just learning how to use it :)

I knew I heard about something special in Lakeland, but I couldn't think...then I happened to see an article today about Florida Southern College...the whole campus was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, I've heard from several sources it is well worth seeing. www.flsouthern.edu/fllwctr. 863-680-4444. Tours M-W-F 11 am & 1 pm. They have a "Water Dome" that operates several times a day...I don't know what it is but it sounds cool. Have a great time, it's a beautiful area, pleasant weather.:read2:

i always went to gatorland zoo off 441 in kissimee. also wekiva springs in altomonte springs is beautiful and we canoed it years back. orlando speed world where they have the worlds fastest street car shootout is cool.shoot down south to boyton beach and they have half day deep sea fishing charters around 50 dollars a head. you only go out a mile and youre in 100 foot water. very cool experience. Last but not least is the jai lai fronton. fastest game in the world with horse type betting and really cheap beer in an air conditioned building.where we,d hide on really hot days for the matinee games.I lived near Orlando. There may be something happening at the Lakeland civic center too. enjoy.

This is a good time of year to go to Gator Land. NEVER EVER go during the summer,its like walking through a lake of Napalm! Definitly check out Cocoa or Daytona Beach for the babes.Or New Smyrna beach for good local beachs.

I attended a conference in Orlando last week. We drove north on I-75 on the way home on Saturday 3/21 and the Garlits museum was packed! I told my wife that there must be a car show...we went to the museum on Tuesday the 17th...just missed the show by a few days.

One cool thing we saw...they fired up one of Big's old dragsters from the '60s outside the workshop. When they restore those machines, they apparently restore them to run.

-
Back