Think I finally found my project car

-

Asktoro

Reaction score
Guy asked 1,000 managed to strike a deal for 750. It runs and drives, smokes a bit, floor pans solid has rust in quarters, body is straight a 225 gold duster. Remember the duster challenger thing I was doing? Bout to happen soon! Just waiting for him to notarize the title then I'll go around some body shops to see if itd be more favorable to just drop 1-2 grand to fix all the rust and another 2 for paint or do it myself. The worst of the damage is the rear passenger area and it isn't EVEN that bad.
imag0324a.jpg
imag0325x.jpg

Congrats! Hope you seriously fix it up!

Believe it or not...I have its long lost twin 72 Duster!, my grandpa daily drove it from 1975-2000.

Whats the plans for yours?

Swap hood to a dart or demon, never liked the bulge on dusters. Fix the rust and paint for now. maybe try to find a hubcap to complete it. Old school plymouth motor div hubcspd look nice. I got about 6 or 7 grand to play with, hoping to finish her for around 4 or 5

That looks like a great start! Just an fyi a dart/demon hood will not work on its own. You would have to also swap out the front fenders, hood support, grill and bumper. Maybe just do the hood blackout treatment with a scoop? Would save you a ton of parts searching and $ in the end. Good luck with either route you take!

That looks like a great start! Just an fyi a dart/demon hood will not work on its own. You would have to also swap out the front fenders, hood support, grill and bumper. Maybe just do the hood blackout treatment with a scoop? Would save you a ton of parts searching and $ in the end. Good luck with either route you take!

The front fenders are already shot, they got rust in the bottom corners near the doors and it's a LOT cheaper to just swap fenders. Darts are common. I tried to find a demon but none around here for a decent price. One was in the same condition as the duster and MISSING parts/engine and guy wanted 4 grand. said it was so rare that it'd be 30+ grand when its done... phft dont you just love that story? Spokane, WA has a lot of darts -- I'm sure I could find a complete front end -- fenders/bumper etc for $250 with how bad folks need money. I wont have a place to work on it for a month, so meanwhile ill just be part shopping. I had my eyes on a 1964 Polara for $750 but the guy said there was someone whos gonna check it out before me so I probably lost out on it... was going to turn it into a 1964 charger clone hard top, but polara parts are a pain to find. Figure this project is solid enough, and cheap enough that I could afford to buy a couple part swaps. Most folks end up wanting 2 grand for their car in this condition.... So yeah..... lots of time, which I have, some money, which I have, tools, which I have and elbow grease which I have :D knowledge too.... So, the charger duster shall be born! Speaking of which, before i start hitting up craigslist -- anyone got a dart front end they'd like to sell me and lives 200 miles or less from missoula MT? Looking for cancer free/dent free. Don't care if the grill is missing, I'd gladly trade parts off that duster I won't be using which is the interior -- the back seats are perfect. They're this nasty lime greenish color maybe someone else likes that color? I'm gonna strip a few things off it and try to get it running a bit better, carb def needs tweaked it was running rich. prob gonna keep the slant six for awhile, unless i find a v8 front clip that i can stick on it :) that'd work right?

Cool, good luck! Fwiw,I glassed a hemi scoop on.my.valiant.(same hood).It tends to shrink the size of the "skunk stripe".Just my .02.

I was wondering when you would find a car.
Maybe start a thread on the rebuild of it on here.
I have a few parts that you might be interested in if you get into the V8 swap and bbp disc brakes. I have no rust free sheet metal.
You're right, Spokane has a lot of parts n darts!
Good luck!
Tom.

here is a few pics of your cars long lost twin:
SancoTrip5-27-09013.jpg

DSC08090.jpg

DSC08093.jpg

Spokane is a good place for Mopars. I was born and raised there are there are a decent amount of them especially if you know the people in the area that are into them.

I just picked up a 68 2dr post dart with a slant and a 3 speed for 300.

Jeff

Lucky, Jeff. The seller wanted money sure and needed it bad but he wasn't going to budge much on the price :( My dad's going to check out my car tomorrow, I got catalogs already laying around for strange axels, brodix heads etc. Also going to drop by House of Color http://www.hocmt.com/ and see what it'd run me for paint/rust repair... maybe swap the undercoating for a new one, its really hard to beat an undercoat that lasts 40+ years... but it might be better to go with some sort of bedliner? Edit: prine something funny is going on with that car, the gas cap is missing in one pic :O It's damn 2:30 in the frickin morning and I want to go see my car :| am I insane or something? Oh hell, whatever, nobody can stop love! :) I'm pretty happy to finally have a project and for it to be a MOPAR!

Nice find and a good deal. To bad your so far away, I got some of the parts you need. Good luck on the build.

Thanks, all the body shops quoted me upwards of $5 grand to as much as $15 grand, jesus. Paint is more fair though, about 2 to 3k for a good one. Looks like year one is going to see some of my dough for sheet metal and I'll do the body work myself. Too damn costly.. I know id probably get a shop to media blast it though cause I do not want to do that, not much i can do to dig into it right now short of look for parts, or maybe try to get it more driveable. Side note: which of the parts do you have that I need? If the prices aren't too bad I'd be willing to pay the shipping.

I would check out AMD for your sheet metal. Year one tacks on a handling fee.

Sweet I like the car. Prine you can send me that evil twin LOL

-
Back