thinking about a tool truck franchise

-

72golddustermike

Reaction score
heres my situation ive been a body/paint tech for the last 15 years. I just cant see myself doing this for the rest of my life. i have been thinking about a tool franchise because there isnt one around here in the last 4 years. I dont really know anything about how these franchises work. anybody have any advice.

Might want to contact ToolManMike, believe he has a tool truck

Two friends of mine sold Mack tools here for awhile, but it didn't work out for either. The profit never out weighed the cost. One guy sold tools for 5 years the other for three.

It can be a good thing but there's a lot of things that "Corporate" doesn't tell you before you sign up. It looks like a glamorous job on the surface but it's what you don't see is the tough part. Somedays I wish I worked for the "man" and could punch out and go home. It's the job that never goes away. It is always parked in the driveway in need of something. I could go on for hours.................I need to go to work. LOL tmm

The only way I'd become a tool salseman would be if I could buy my OWN truck and my OWN tool inventory to start it off with. That way, you're not in debt with the company and they have less control over you.

I hope you have thick skin. I know everyone rides the sh*t out of the crap-on guy when when/if he comes in.

I don't have any advice to offer but, in the past 3 years, three of my friends and neighbors have "retired" from. 2 were involved with Mac Tools and one with Snap On.

That insurance estimator gig must be pretty sweet.

The one that did my only claim looked to be about a 22 year old girl.

She was low on the estimate by about 66%.

I could have done a better job.

Best friends son had a Matco truck for a brief while. He told me that it felt like a never ending job & that he was lucky to make minimum wage when all was said & done.

Mike I had 2 friends that did the tool truck thing. they were doing well at the beginning, then their routes were changed to give new guys a taste and they really suffered. Also they had to constantly give credit, and chase the people down for the money.
Do you like what you do?
Perhaps you just need a little break?
Career changes are sometimes quite difficult.
Working for yourself is rewarding in some ways, and difficult in many other ways.
I repair CNC machines, self employed, and I have to pay my own health insurance $1056 month, liability insurance $467 month, and the basic stuff, phone, car, gas, etc.
So when I have a slow month I really get nervous, as the bills stay the same.
Good Luck to you in whatever your decision

Also they had to constantly give credit, and chase the people down for the money.
This was Jared's problem as well. And when things get tight it seemed like he was the first person to get put on the "check is in the mail" list....

i would love to do auto estimating but the companies want some young college grad that knows zip about cars that way they can train them the way they want to. I did apply for a progressive job and was called for interview, however job was given to a buddy of the other estimator. Seems like it is a who you know not what you know. The job i am at know i have been with same boss for about 15 years, however hes 63 and i dont know how much longer he will be here.i have no benefits at this job.Wish i could get a job as estimator but been trying for years the positions just are not there.

I had a Mac Tool distributorship from 1984 to 1993, went to Snap-On on a equipment truck from 1993 to 1999, all in Dallas. The tool business was much more doable back then due to the lack of internet competition. I enjoyed it and am still friends with some of my old customers. However be prepared to work 60 to 70 hours a week every week if you are going to make it. The cost has increased four fold from what it cost me to get in in 1984, I still have friends on Mac and Snap-On trucks. Most of them are still there because they have been at it many years.
Having said that I have been a catastrophic insurance adjuster the past seven years....I am away from home 6 to 8 months out of the year. No benefits and lots of stress, some days are 15 hours long. I am too old to work in a shop, it is tempting to look for a job as an estimator in a big body shop in Dallas but I know that has it own set of issues to deal with also. I can tell you the catastrophic companies will give you a chance with no college but you have better have good customer service and computer skills (and dont mind being away from home alot).
Good luck with your search

Also they had to constantly give credit, and chase the people down for the money.

I bought from Mac, Snap-on and Cornwell thru the 80s & 90s and had great relationships with the guys. They'd give me some time on some of the bigger ticket items but i always kept my word on the agreement and i assume it worked out well for both of us. There were guys in the shops i worked in that would buy big tools and boxes then call out on the days the trucks came. Man i felt bad for them, but i guess you have to try and trust people to keep their word.

-
Back