Thinking about buying this magnum what do you guys think?

-

Mean416

Reaction score
I found this engine locally for sale. 5.9 magnum, supposed around 140k miles. I can't go look at it in person but I want to go ahead and buy it.

I asked for pics under the valve covers and he complied. I don't think it looks too bad what do you guys think?

Screenshot_20240127-145715~2.png

received_720054283438597.jpeg

received_748869830485153.jpeg

received_705765895014468.jpeg

That has “cheep rebuild and cam swap in near future” written all over it.
I agree. Assuming it's just a little tired at 140k mi with no major damage? (Which is likely.) If price is right it's likely a low risk purchase.

I was thinking more like....no rebuild and can swap but yeah that's the general idea
That's not out of the question. Compression test is simple enough. If solid and consistent? Again, a lower risk swap is possible.

Yeah I think I'll get it. This will be good to drop in the belvedere.

You can buy one for $300 here from Jalopy Jungle pickapart with a 30 day warranty.

I think I could use that front accessory mount bracket!

Let me know!!!!

I ended up purchasing it today. It was $400. Turned over smoothly, did normal engine things. I'll do the normal bit and pull the pan, look for the obvious issues. Not 100% sure the direction I'll take with it but this will be a nice little motor to swap in.

My block only required a hone and rering . You may find the same . These blocks are pretty tough and fuel injection makes them last even longer .

I'm gonna run it on the stand and see what she does with a compression check.

I ended up purchasing it today. It was $400. Turned over smoothly, did normal engine things. I'll do the normal bit and pull the pan, look for the obvious issues. Not 100% sure the direction I'll take with it but this will be a nice little motor to swap in.
You did good. I purt near guarantee it has cross hatch in the cylinders.

Low tension rings and efi are the reason those cylinders last so long. It's a winner

I have a 5.9 magnum. It came out of a rusted out 95 van near Detroit. It has 80000 miles and ran perfect when pulled. I got the computer and a lot of extras with it. I was going to put it in a 67 fastback but had to sell the car. I also have many 67&68 parts as i striped two barracudas at local junk yards. I live 300 miles north of Detroit near Mackinaw. $500. for the magnum.

I already got the one local to me. Scored it for $400

-
Back