Thinking about going back to mechanical

-

zakimodo

Reaction score
Hi All

I have ran an electric fuel pump in my car since about 15 minutes after the engine was fired for the first time. The reason was that the mechanical pump that was on the engine had a faulty diaphragm and pumped about 1/2 gallon worth of gas into the engine. When this happened i figured that I would switch to an electric pump and never have to worry about my engine filling up with gas again.

Fast forward to today (about 9 years later), I am on my second electric pump in the car with the 3rd sitting on the bench. The current pump is a Holley red pump (summit branded) and while it supplies all the fuel I will ever need, its loud!. Because of this, I got pump 3 ,a Holley quiet flow 125. This thing is much bigger than the red pump and limits mounting options in an already tight space.

So this leads me today. Why not sell my brand new Holley pump and go back to a good mechanical pump? Obviously easier to mount...but......

Id love to get your thoughts on this.

I myself have not had a problem with a new mechanical pump. True! Old ones do wear out and leak after many miles & I guess that will happen some day on my new pumps.

I use Carter pumps. They also come in a HO high flow versions. For your well pumped up engine that demands a bit more than a OE pump puts out.

I see enough electrical problems at work, and avoid inviting any new ones into my life.
I love original Mopar electrical systems.
Even if I have a problem, there's like, what,
a dozen wires that really matter?
Plus, I am really annoyed by buzzing and whirring noises.
I've had mechanical pumps leak gas out the vent, quit working after 20 years, but have yet to have a diaphragm leak gas into the oil.
Did yours leak gas out the vent hole or not?

I see enough electrical problems at work, and avoid inviting any new ones into my life.
I love original Mopar electrical systems.
Even if I have a problem, there's like, what,
a dozen wires that really matter?
Plus, I am really annoyed by buzzing and whirring noises.
I've had mechanical pumps leak gas out the vent, quit working after 20 years, but have yet to have a diaphragm leak gas into the oil.
Did yours leak gas out the vent hole or not?

It didn't, Just pushed gas into the engine.

That's a definite bummer.
Did you notice the oil thinned out, or the smell, or what alerted you?

Once it fired up and ran for a bit we shut it off, I can't remember why now. I checked the oil level mainly to make sure there was no sign of metal. The oil on the dipstick smelled of gas. The level was also up. When I pulled the pump off the inside of the housing was as clean as could be and also smelled like gas.

-
Back