Thinking about grabbing a 383 GTS DART , QUESTIONS

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Hi guys im thinking about grabbing a old 69 gts 383 car , its a rolling chassis and all the old mechanic is long gone and the car ran with a small block k member its last years on the road, dont have actual pics but the car is pretty loaded from factory but it was an ex race car , had a 360 w2 in the 80/90s , new to big blocks , whats needed and can you start from a small block v8 k member , the car needs a lot of work but im thinking do make more a street strip project than a 100 points restoration.

Last edited:
B7 jamaican blue from factory with a white stripe, have vin , fender tag and body stampings // not yhe actual car...pic to show how it was from factory

-1969-dodge-dart-gts-383330hp--13.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the car? What’s a lot of work?

Small block to big block is no small potatoes.

If you’re just making it a street machine stay with the small block.

The car is in a shed and it wasnt for sale , will only post pics if i have the owners permission or if i decide to buy it. He's very private and doesnt want nothing online

If not restoring but just making street/strip it would probably be easiest/quickest to just stay sb and get/build a 408 stroker. You could search for an abody bb k member, they pop up now and again, or get swap mounts. I believe Trans Dapt has some sb to bb ones. Summit and Jegs has them. If going manifolds the a body bb manifolds are out there but pricey. How much body work does it need?

"whats needed and can you start from a small block v8 k member?"
will only post pics if i have the owners permission or if i decide to buy it. He's very private and doesnt want nothing online
Sure. But no pics makes it a little harder to help.
My opinion:
1. Jim Lusk Mods.
2. Conversion mounts.
3. BB k frame.
These are the route's I would explore, but there's more aftermarket options, also.

Holy crap yall. READ. He said that's not the car. duhhhhhhh

If the car is rusty and you're inclined to bring the body back to it's former glory then you're taking it apart for whatever metal repair and body work it needs plus paint. If you can do that type of stuff yourself then you're somewhat ahead of the game but if you're paying a shop to do that work you could be over $20K before you even bat an eye. This holds true whether it's a small or big block.

If it's not rusty then well, how much would it take to make it drivable with the small block? You say it's been sitting so you're likely going to need to rewire the entire car, install new fluid lines, go through the running gear, brakes, steering and suspension, wheels and tires, interior, etc. That would also hold true whether it's a small block or big block.

Exhaust fitment is always a concern with these cars whether you stay with manifolds or go with headers. Front suspension uses different t-bars to hold the extra weight. Consider the intake you want to use and make sure you have hood clearance. Etc.

Like I said before, converting from a small block to a big block involves a little more then just motor mounts. Case in point; my friend has an original 318 '66 Fury which we are converting to a 383 based stroker (438") drivetrain. Even after literally giving him a bunch of parts from my shelves towards the project, (accessories, brackets, pulleys, ignition, sending units, intake and carb yada yada yada) he still has about $6-7K in the engine, $800 for a freshly rebuilt BB 727 and he still needs a converter. He's also into it for a couple thousand more for all the peripheral stuff like motor mounts, big block engine wiring harness, cooling system and radiator, fasteners, like $15-$1,600 for full TTI exhaust from the headers back and on and on.

This is strictly my opinion but unless you stroke the 383, I don't think it's anything special. The mostly stock 383 in my Coronet runs OK but it could be better and more cubes would certainly help. If I had to choose which engine platform to go with in a street driven A body I'd go with a small block.

Honestly, a small block in an A body is a better package for chassis weight distribution and handling whether it's for drag racing or street driving. If you decide to stay with the small block and you have the means, a 340 or 360 based stroker can easily be punched out to big block size and make similar power and torque.

OTOH, if it's strictly for drag racing, do whatever it takes to make it run the number you want and don't look back.

-
Back