Thinking about Installing an Aluminum Radiator...

-

Shane65

Reaction score
Do I have to install an electric fan? or can I get away with my stock clutch fan?

i have a griffin aluminum radiator and the mopar viscous fan package...fits very close, but fits. :)

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

i got a half inch clearance from the clutch to the radiator....close!!!

IMG_2922.jpg

I am currently installing an alum one in my Newport 383. It says "Pro Cool" and was only $80 new on ebay a few years ago, but probably a special deal. It is pretty thick, I think I see 3 rows. It is all aluminum with welded side reservoirs. It has an 18"H x 22"W core and would fit my 65 Dart if I cut off the frame rail lip on both sides, but should fit 67+ A-bodies with no cutting since wider. Instead of the typical side mounting flange, it has threaded studs in the reservoirs, so you bolt thru the front rad support into it. The lower hose is driver side and upper hose halfway to passenger side, so would fit a SB with older cast-iron pump. The upper hose position avoids my AC compressor. I have room for the fan clutch and am affixing a shroud from an 80's New Yorker. No transmission cooler, but I prefer an external cooler anyway.

In my 68 Dart I installed a champion 2row aluminum radiator, I was still able to use my original clutch fan setup with plenty of room.

My 1973 with the 22" Champion aluminum fits the stock clutch fan (definitely not the shroud). It puts the fan blades about 1/2" from the radiator.

installed an american eagle 22 inch rad for a 74 dart in my 66, 225 to 318 swap, currently running a 18 inch flex fan with the original 1.25 inch slant spacer. have 1/2 inch clearance

I'm thinking of putting in an alum rad in my 1970 dart any thoughts on what brand fits the best ? I would like a direct fit rad w/ auto trans cooling fittings thanks

-
Back