Thinking about selling my fuel injected 440 What's it worth?

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
So I have been contimplating selling the motor and trans in my swinger. 440 .30 over forged 10 to 1 pistons. Howards .519 lift cam. 440 source aluminum heads.Edelbrock torquer intake. Fast efi system. Big tti headers. Around 1000 miles on the setup. The trans has been fully rebuilt with a shift kit. I will be keeping the convertor for the next setup. I really want to build a stroker small block and put a turbo on it. What do you guys think this setup is worth? Runs like a champ! Car runs 11.70's at 115. Car weighs 3300. 3.73 gears.

Well, truth be told, it's really hard to put a price on something like that.

First and foremost, it's a used race motor, meaning its been pushed hard, and pushed hard more than once. anyone who looks at that will have in the back of their mind "Runs like a champ or not, low miles or not, it still might have something ready to pop."

Likewise, unless it comes with a warranty, or if you're an engine builder of some renown where you live, any buyer is going to be wary.

Second, it's very far from stock, with a lot of expensive parts in it. And by and large, the kind of person who wants/needs a motor like that, will build it themselves, or have someone build it for them, and have it built to their specs, with the parts they choose, to best fit their requirements.

Finally, a good portion of the people whom you're selling to, would probably be keener on just one or two parts off the engine/trans. The trans+shift kit, the heads, the cam, the shortblock, the intake+EFI the headers, are all things that tons of people on here and elsewhere would need, but parting it out leaves you the problem of ending up not selling one or two parts, and those could end up being big-ticket parts too.

However, most of what I just said applies mostly to selling it straight up for money. If you wanna trade it for something, there's much much much more potential value in it. I know of many many many people around here who trade motors for motors, cars for motors, rare/hard-to-find parts for motors. And even then, plenty of people will trade, say, a motor and some cash for a hot motor like yours, or a car, a few extra motors, and some spare parts. Especially when people are hurting for money like they are these days, you'd get a ton more for your motor if you trade it than if you sold it and bought parts.

Very well said. And I do agree to a point. This thing is not ready to "pop". It hasent been run hard at all. Not even over 6200 rpm. It has been well maintained and was built professionally. The car sees way more street time than track time, and I have made maybe 30 passes on the motor. I wouldnt be against trying to trade it for something, as long as I can build my stroker that I want!

the thing is that someone would have to be taking your word that it hasnt been beat on and that nothing is ready to "pop", im not throwing axes or saying that you dont know, but anyone who would want to run a motor like that is going to have to tear it all down anyway and check everything out. most people running that kind of a set-up are going to invest their time and money into a motor they want built to their specific needs. "runs like a champ" is a relative term that would apply to how much use and beatings it has taken. im sure you may find someone interested, but you arent going to get near what you have in it, if you had this built for you by someone else that charged you labor and parts and you didnt get a deal.... my $0.02------ derranged post is spot -on

I would at least sell the FAST EFI separately. It is easy to remove and that would open up your market a lot since not everyone in interested in the motor wants EFI and vice-versa.

-
Back