Thinking of buying a '67 Valiant 100

-

65s

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying this '67 Valiant 100 as a winter project to keep myself and my friend busy over the long winter. It's priced good, about 4 hours from me and apparently has good floors, torsion bar mounts, rockers, etc. Complete car, stored 20 years in a barn. Rusty lower quarters and fenders. /6 car, V100, radio delete.

What do you think? Is this car hard to find parts for? How many were made, any idea?

Here's some photos.

ec_20.jpg

09_20.jpg

20_20.jpg

bb_20.jpg

If the purchase price is right, go for it. Things like the grille and bumbers seem to be in really good shape, and if the floorboards and subframes aren't rusted, then the reaminder is just body parts and cosmetics. And as caveman pointed out, the body panels are available.

I might be interested in it if you dont get it. If you dont mind where is it and how much? I am about 2 1/2 hours north of Toronto.

It's in Newmarket. The guy is asking $1600. He's a Chevy guy, so he might come down.

I'm still thinking about it, so I can't tell you everything just yet, sorry! :-0

Once Jimmy boy gets his a$$ out of bed and has his morning coffee, he should be able to tell you about any hard to find parts for this model. I'd hold out for a price around $1000.00 for that unit though, since there's a LOT of panel work to repair damage and rust throughs. Good luck.

Maybe I'm spoiled living in Texas, but that seems like way to much money for a slant 6 car that is going to need just about every body panel replaced. I bought my 318 Dart Sport for about what he's asking, with original paint and almost zero rust. I'd pass, my .02 worth.

Thanks everyone. I think the price is a little high too (it's Canadian dollars though, don't forget). It's tough to find ANY classic Mopar around here, let alone one that is rust free. Shipping from Texas would be about $2000, so you have to factor that in. Oh ya, the 3-day wait at the border now adds a ton of headaches and more money for storage (if you can find it) and all kinds of worms.

I think it's priced a little high too, but it IS different! I'd check on all the little things before getting involved. Is the trim there and/or restorable? Interior pieces there? How's the window rubber and is it availible? Title? After driving for 4 hours, it BETTER have miniminal rust on the frame & floor.... or I'd be pissed.

If it is solid underneath and it's pretty much all there, offer him a grand TOPS.... Or just spend twice as much up-front and have a cheap southern car shipped up to you. I'd rather wait three days at the boarder instead of months at a body shop...

BTW: Great shot of your car Ron!

65s, here's the total production of the 67 Valiant family:

100 4dr Sedan - 46,638
100 2dr Sedan - 29,093
Signet 4dr Sedan - 26,395
Signet 2dr Sedan - 6,843

The generation was 67-69. Parts should not be a problem if you have the time to keep your eyes open. I have used many parts from "all" 67-76 A-bodies. Most donar parts are a stright swap, IE my inner door panels from a GT Dart, dash pad/cluster from duster. Of course there will be a few parts that are a concern: trim/glass 67-69 only?

I think what makes these an easy parts project is that.....well lets face it (their still kinda seen as granny cars) so the pickings on them are not that bad "yet"...There not really up to par like dusters,darts,cuda's etc. I'm glad I got mine now however. Once there done up a lot of non-mopar people often ask what it is.

I could have been lucky....Mine had very little rust, extra chrome, buckets with the 273. The guy wanted $1500 and his wife let me have it for $1300.
Any other questions PM me.

DSCF0016 (Small).JPG

What's the production run for the 68's? Mines a 2 door Signet and it would be interesting to know. Would they weigh 3000lbs? 69signetv8...was it close to the shape you have it now or did it require a lot of work? I paid $5000 for mine which may seem a lot but, I dont have a lot to choose from and have always loved them. It was safetied which was really nice. It is in amazing shape and I wouldnt have to change a thing. But I know you can spend $1000-$2000 on a car and the thousands add up if you need it fixed.

moparfreak77 said:
What's the production run for the 68's? Mines a 2 door Signet and it would be interesting to know. Would they weigh 3000lbs? 69signetv8...was it close to the shape you have it now or did it require a lot of work? I paid $5000 for mine which may seem a lot but, I dont have a lot to choose from and have always loved them. It was safetied which was really nice. It is in amazing shape and I wouldnt have to change a thing. But I know you can spend $1000-$2000 on a car and the thousands add up if you need it fixed.

I'll PM you.

most of the unique pieces on this car have to do with the front and back glass.
1a. the back lite is used on 67 to..i think 72.
1b. the front and back lites had gaskets specific to only 67, and can be hard to find. the gasket uses a plastic chrome trim/ lock strip that is equally hard to find.i used a back lite gasket and stainless trim from a later model and made it work.
2a. the grill is unique to 67, i think the valance is the same also, but not positive.
2b. the bumpers are unmolested, i.e.- theres no vertical slots, back up light recesses, etc., the 67s had no holes in them except mounting holes.

in my mind the only really good parts on this car can also be taken off of a countless kazillion four door cars of the same vintage.
save your money and look for a good shell !

not ranting here, but the severity of rust on the quarters and fenders practicaly insures there rust in them thar floors.
...parts car.

original paint and this car has all the parts on it. Yellow with black interior. /6 manual 3spd. good quarters!!original black California plates. needs new interior, had a fender bender at corner of headlight and hood area and needs to have the hood and drivers fender r and r'd. I have straight parts!all glass is good and on the car. good tires, located in Santa Cruz Ca.
1600.00 will send pics

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm still thinking about, pretty busy at work.

$1600 for a California car eh? Okay, let's see. $1600 into Canadian dollars equals $1833. Add 6% GST at the border and we're up to $1942. Shipping to here would be about $1500 or so, now we're at $3442. Oh ya, 3 day wait at the border, let's just say the shipping company can accomodate this at $50/day, another $150. So about $3600 vs. $1600.

Some would say $2000 for a rust free car is well worth it...but I'm just looking for something to tinker with over the winter and practice my welding skills on....

find a crappy ford or chevy to practice on. you won't care if you screw up. hehe just kidding. if anything is worth saving at least make it a mopar :lol:

Be thankfull its in Ontario and not Alberta - I'd have bought it by now :toothy7:

My /6 68 2dr post Dart was in better shape when I bought it 3 yrs ago for $2200.
Now its a screamin 11 sec. 388 2 dr post. - and its different.

If you decide not to go for it, I have a God-son who lives in southern Ontario, is a total Mopar enthusiast and who would just die for it, so keep me in mind.

I've decided the car it not what I want for a project, I've got my eye on a Duster instead.

The seller is Jim, 905-836-8635. Good luck. If someone buys it, post here to tell us.

Oh ya, that being said...what do you think a '72 Duster (originally a /6 car) completely stripped down and currently on a rotisserie, Arizona 99.9% rust free car, is worth?

It's got all the parts except drivetrain and suspension, the guy in his infinite wisdom decided to throw the K-frame, rear, brakes etc. away to make way for his Hemi dream which is not happening now.

Okay, instead I found a 69 Valiant Signet post car for $800 CDN. I should be getting it on Thursday. I don't want to say too much about it right now, but it needs new floors and new torsion bar crossmember. The rest of the body is remarkably nice. I'm starting to like the body style more every day...strange how that works!

Here she is, complete with flat vintage tires! I get her tomorrow, if all goes well.

valiant.jpg

-
Back