Thinking of buying a '67 Valiant 100

-
Well if nothing else this post has brought out all us valiant guys! Hey since everyone told their story Ill tel mine quickly. I paid 250$ and drove it for 2 years with 2 burnt valves on the /6. I went to get it, walked around it once asked for the keys it started right up! I said I dont care whats under the hood Ill take it! Her husband wasnt there, he wanted 350 I told her I had 250 and she bit! Now she has a 360 under the hood and even with the trans slipping like crazy due to the torque converter, she loves to light the tires! Keep the Valiants alive!!!!!!!!! (have new trans to put in)

Cool....good story. Well this Valiant what I believe is a '71 Dart fiberglass front clip, a 318 from who knows what and no interior! A real project. Oh ya, no floor either, but real nice body panels everywhere else. I'll post some more photos tomorrow.

i can't wait to see the dart front end on a val.
i really like the looks of the 69 grill treatment.

hey I made a floor pan template and made it from regular sheet metal (Im a metal fabricator/ welder) and it came out pretty nice I just took my time with it. then transfered the frame lines onto it and drilled out a few holes and filled them to act as the factory spot welds did. Just mentioning this because you said it was going to be a winter project and you wanted to practice welding! You can get the floor pans for about 80.00 a piece but it cost about 1/3 of that to do both floor pans in front.

Well, here she is. She was last on the road in 1991. Check out the tires!? Vintage or what!

The floors are shot, the crossmember is shot. Good news is my buddy and I have already cut most of the floor out and are preparing the Por-15 as we speak!

We're going to bring her back to white (its original color) and convert the green interior to black. Found a broadcast sheet behind the glovebox. It's also a radio delete car, pretty cool I think. My buddy wants to keep it now and sell his '73 Dart Sport.

QUESTION: Is the front end 1970 or 1971 Dart? It appears the missing hood scoops were original. Were they all non-functional like that? How much does a set of scoops sell for?

IMG_8902.JPG

IMG_8903.JPG

IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

IMG_8907.JPG

IMG_8919.JPG

Thanks '68 Valiant, I'm really loving the simplicity, rigidness and bare bones nature of this car!

I have so many questions.......

It seems to have '68 taillights and a '71 Dart front clip (which I prefer actually, and will keep). How can I tell if the holes for the scoops are original for this Dart front end?

How do I get the steering wheel horn off? Is my instrument cluster the right one? I don't seem to have any a-pillar covers or signs of any ever being there, is that right?

Does anyone make a new windshield rubber gasket? Is a Dart/Duster windshield compatible?

I imagine there are a few bolts in behind the steering wheel to get that horn ring off. I know on my 68 there isn't an A pillar cover, just painted. The top of the doors are the same. Not sure if its factory but I like it better. Check out my webshot site to maybe help you out. not the same year but might not matter for some things. If you need a pic of something let me know.

http://community.webshots.com/user/moparfreak77

Hey moparfreak,was that the car in the autotrader awhile back? Looks like it to me.Caught my eye,but had no funds.My dad's first NEW car was a 68 Valiant Signet 318/4spd and I always try to keep an eye out for them as I would like to get him back into the hobby.He's the reason I'm a dodge man and have been bugging him for over 15 years to get another toy. Looks nice. 65s: Good luck with yours.The 71 dart clip on a valiant looks pretty cool!

My '69 is turning into quite the project! I've only had it 3 days and today I visited a great wrecking yard where I got a whole front clip! We were just going to replace the crossmember and patch the front frame rails, but now it looks like we'll go for it and replace the whole front frame rails and crossmember in one giant piece! I'll have to take some photos.

The build sheet I found has code 31 or 34 (hard to see it) for transmission. What was that? An auto?

65s...keep us informed on your project. sorry for the hijack. jd340...As of now it's sitting in the driveway!...It was 8 degrees here yesterday! I could still be driving it! lol. It would be in the garage but I have some projects in there and it would be a pain as the car would take up 80% of my garage.

Hijack? No problem. I'd like to see this thread renamed "67-69 Valiants" or something.

I found a chart that shows the 31 as being an A904.

On the drivers side frame rail there's a small triangular metal piece where a Z-bar would be located if the car was manual. Someone told me only manual cars got this piece of metal, but mine has it and it's an auto. What gives?

"On the drivers side frame rail there's a small triangular metal piece where a Z-bar would be located if the car was manual. Someone told me only manual cars got this piece of metal, but mine has it and it's an auto. What gives?"

My 69 2-door post Valiant 100 (a stock stripper, radio delete) has that part also as well as a ball stud, and it is a 904 auto. I have just started a detailed full restoration on mine (mostly just a detailed cosmetic: underbody, engine bay) as it is a low mile car, rust free. Will be adding a hyper pak setup, 8 3/4 sure grip rear, & front discs. I have gotten really good on date codes, number locations, etc. in preparing for this (I am more familiar with the 70 a bodys), so if I can help anyone just ask. Also, pretty much know exactly what a 69 should & shouldn't have, & how! - so I might be able to help there too. Just finished the new gas tank & all associated stuff today! - an a body lover could eat off it now!

v10 (2).jpg

hey man, Love to see you salvaged that car! As for the windshield gasket yes it is the same as the dart of similar years. The A pillars are painted from the factory and that I know of there were never any covers made for them. I dont think there were any made for them all the way til' 72 or so. As for the wiper seals. Look around a bit. There is a company making them and I think they are the only ones doing it. I think they were selling through year one at some point so maybe try there first! Good luck. I love to see somebody salvage these little cars! there are 2 for sale near me I wish I could get em both. (wife will kill me) lol

65s said:
The build sheet I found has code 31 or 34 (hard to see it) for transmission. What was that? An auto?

31 = 3 speed 904 AUTOMATIC (no code 34 for '69 Valiant) and the 3 speed 904 MANUAL would be coded as 11. The 904 auto & manual are light duty torqueflites in 99% of these with original slant sixes (still very good for most small blocks too IMO).

I wouldn't let the cost of an idler arm ever deter me from buying a car. However that valiant looks pretty darn bad. I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks for it, in hopes that there was a few parts worth keeping!

Yeah, I'm glad now I didn't go for this '67....but it's debateable if the '69 I did buy is any better! (see The Great White Valiant thread under Members Restorations if you're curious).

65s said:
Hijack? No problem. I'd like to see this thread renamed "67-69 Valiants" or something.

I found a chart that shows the 31 as being an A904.

On the drivers side frame rail there's a small triangular metal piece where a Z-bar would be located if the car was manual. Someone told me only manual cars got this piece of metal, but mine has it and it's an auto. What gives?

I'd say you got lucky!LOL! So have you started on it yet?

custom100 said:
hay 65s that looks like a good winter project

69signetV8 is that picture taken at Beaver Lake? my car is stored out in Sidney.

Yes Sir..... :thumbup:

Work on the 69 Valiant is progressing rapidly. It's been less than 3 weeks since purchase and the complete front frame section, left and right rails and crossmember, has been replaced. Yes, we cut out the old one and put a complete donor front frame in. We'll be finishing up the welding of it tonight.

Now the big question is, do we try to drill shallow marks in the welded area to duplicate the original spot welds or just go for a smoothed over look?

-
Back