Thinking of buying a press...Opinions needed quick!!!

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello...I'm tiring of having to drive 30 damn miles to use my buddies press to press bearings, hubs, bushings and everything else I need pressed out...I need one today, lilke right now to get my car done, and I could go to harbor freight right now and buy a 20 ton press for 200 bucks...What do you guys think? Do you like them, is it worth the money? Check out the link and tell me what you think...

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/shop-presses.html

I'm interested in the 20 ton regular which is on sale for $169, or the heavy duty 20 ton which is $249. What do you guys think? Please respond as I need it today...

Thanks,

James (mopardude)

The heavier ram the better.

i bought a cheapo one at northern tool similar, almost identical to that 12 ton press in the link you provided for what $150 or so, and the friggin press shaft bent darn near the first time I used it.

Get the heavy duty ram with the fattest shaft you can get.

This looks just like the one I got=JUNK.
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/shop-presses/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html

The orange shaft is what bent, very skinny and can't take much but still works, just can't do much heavy stuff.

Get the heavy duty. The frame looks much better. And I would hope it comes withe the better ram. Sounds like you need it often enough to warrant the heavy one anyways.

This is my next big shop purchase as well!

I am not much on Harbor Freight if it has an electric cord but I have been very happy with their hydraulic tools.

It does look like the $249 one has better plates from looking at the picture. Those better plates are priceless sometimes.

Thanks you guys!!! I'm on my way to Harbor Freight now to get the HD unit. I'll be back!!!

Hello...I'm tiring of having to drive 30 damn miles to use my buddies press to press bearings, hubs, bushings and everything else I need pressed out...I need one today, lilke right now to get my car done, and I could go to harbor freight right now and buy a 20 ton press for 200 bucks...What do you guys think? Do you like them, is it worth the money? Check out the link and tell me what you think...

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/shop-presses.html

I'm interested in the 20 ton regular which is on sale for $169, or the heavy duty 20 ton which is $249. What do you guys think? Please respond as I need it today...

Thanks,

James (mopardude)
i have work with 2 different harborfreight and had good luck with both

Funny thing.....
I was in the same boat as you... borrowing a buds all the time.
About 12 years ago I bought my own......... STILL have not taken it outta the boxes!
Go figure.

Later,
Bruce B.

James, you might be on the road all ready but i have used the 20T from HF for almost 8 years and it works just fine. The plates that came on mine were the ones pictured on the HD A-frame model.

I bought a HD 20 ton about 5-6 yrs. ago and man was it the best $150 I ever spent on a tool. It saves time and countless labor. Not to mention fuel saved hauling stuff to the machine shop and going back to pick it up.

Take a look on your local craigslist first. I got a smoking deal on mine that way. It was 4 years old, but never used and he sold it for half price.

Well.....Here's the scoop....I bought one...BUT it's the standard 20 ton press, not the HD unit...First of all, they told me that the one I wanted was an online only item, so I call a few other stores and they tell me the same thing...So I thought about buying it online for the 250 dollar asking price, BUT it was $110 dollars for shipping!!! Screw that, I was mad...So, because I had it in my mind that I wasn't going home without a press, and I REALLY needed it, I just went ahead and bought the standard 20 ton unit, and I must say it worked fine, and was able to press my wheel bearings and hub back into the Toyota knuckle I was working on. lol I wouldn't get a press any less than a 20 ton though...Still would have liked the HD unit....Mine is okay, but I just like hefty equipment, and it's just not hefty enough for me. lol...

Well.....Here's the scoop....I bought one...BUT it's the standard 20 ton press, not the HD unit...First of all, they told me that the one I wanted was an online only item, so I call a few other stores and they tell me the same thing...So I thought about buying it online for the 250 dollar asking price, BUT it was $110 dollars for shipping!!! Screw that, I was mad...So, because I had it in my mind that I wasn't going home without a press, and I REALLY needed it, I just went ahead and bought the standard 20 ton unit, and I must say it worked fine, and was able to press my wheel bearings and hub back into the Toyota knuckle I was working on. lol I wouldn't get a press any less than a 20 ton though...Still would have liked the HD unit....Mine is okay, but I just like hefty equipment, and it's just not hefty enough for me. lol...

Must be a direct shipment from the supplier.

I have a 40 ton unit from Carolina Mfg. in the shop, 30 yrs. and still going.

Hyd. presses are indisposible.

obtw, wear safety glasses and leather gloves. Another thing I do is stand to the side of the press and pump if it's going to take a lot of force. High velocity metal shards and parts can do damage.

obtw, wear safety glasses and leather gloves. Another thing I do is stand to the side of the press and pump if it's going to take a lot of force. High velocity metal shards and parts can do damage.

I hear that! Last time I was using a press on axle bearings, at the very end it shot out like a bullet and made a big *** bang! The plates slammed on the floor too. Now every time I hear that deep creaking noise when I press stuff, I cringe. lol

-
Back