Thinking of changing from Dana 4.10 to 3.55

-

chasb

Reaction score
Any suggestions.

Car is not going to be raced. I just want it for cruising and the 4.10's are too much for that but I dont wamt to go all the way down to 3:23's either.

Are 3:55's available for this application?

THanks
Chas

Yes there out there to purchase. And yep, I think there a good street gear.

Good choice, I did the same thing on a 69 super B for the same reason. More cruising than racing and the 3.55's really gave that 150 MPH speedometer a workout.

Planning on doing the same thing myself. With my 27" tires the 4:10's in my Cuda are fuel mileage killers and don't make cruisin down the hwy. at a paultry 65 any fun. Any more than that and it's screamin so much.

Well it depends on how offen and how far you go. I have 3.91 with a 27' tall tire and I LIKE driving it at 75 mph+ speeds, its great I think. I leave it in 3rd gear-a 904 auto trans and it pulls better the faster it goes till the rpms hit 5700 or so, but by that time I am way in front 90 % of the time. Yes my milage stinks, yes I am killing my motor-but I have 25,000 miles so far on this one. The last one I threw a rod at top end. I have subwoofers and many speakers and amps so I just crank up the stereo and fly. But I go only 10 miles or so like that. If I drove it for 20+ miles everyday It get 3.55's

Rembemer its the motor getting a work out not you, back in the early 70's there were many cars with 4.10 gears on the freeways everday going 80 and better. This is why we got stuck with the 55 mph limit--not that to save gas BS-if that were true we would not have all these gas hog 5800 lbs suvs on the road getting the same milage as a 440 with 4.10 gears going 55 mph!

-
Back