Thinking of getting a slant 6 dart.

-

RickyBobby

Reaction score
I need a better daily driver than my 4.0 ranger right now and I have always been a dart fan. How well are the /6s? I saw a few in my area for cheap, needs body love and a tuneup but otherwise fine. How good are these engines? The two I saw were a 1973 and a 75. I already expect to spend some money for a tune up, so how reliable are they? What's the power rating? How good are they on gas? I already read about switching over to a new 2bbl carb would be beneficial, so what else can I do? Thanks I appreciate the help

I need a better daily driver than my 4.0 ranger right now and I have always been a dart fan. How well are the /6s? I saw a few in my area for cheap, needs body love and a tuneup but otherwise fine. How good are these engines? The two I saw were a 1973 and a 75. I already expect to spend some money for a tune up, so how reliable are they? What's the power rating? How good are they on gas? I already read about switching over to a new 2bbl carb would be beneficial, so what else can I do? Thanks I appreciate the help

Slants are super durable and reliable. They have good low end torque, but HP numbers are not impressive. A well tuned /6 can get 17-18 mpg around town and 22-24 highway mpg. '73+ come with electronic ignition, earlier models are easy to convert, valves need yearly adjustments. Slantsix.org has TONS of helpful slant owners. Many recommend running larger exhaust for improved mileage.

Changing to a super six manifold and 2 bbl carb is popular, try to get new carb linkage if you can. However, from a strict mpg standpoint you not likely to gain a lot, so don't spend a lot to make the change. I like my single bbl just fine.

Slants are super durable and reliable. They have good low end torque, but HP numbers are not impressive. A well tuned /6 can get 17-18 mpg around town and 22-24 highway mpg. '73+ come with electronic ignition, earlier models are easy to convert, valves need yearly adjustments. Slantsix.org has TONS of helpful slant owners. Many recommend running larger exhaust for improved mileage.

Changing to a super six manifold and 2 bbl carb is popular, try to get new carb linkage if you can. However, from a strict mpg standpoint you not likely to gain a lot, so don't spend a lot to make the change. I like my single bbl just fine.

Alright thanks. And any recommendations about the exhaust size upgrade? I wouldn't mind it but I'm not looking to spend a fortune here. Just something that will help me keep and love a car I hope to keep for awhile. A little more pep never hurts though

The 1 barrel Holley is the best carb in my book.

better than the carter but thats it... swapping out to a good holley 2 would be lightyears ahead

Any recommendations? Should I buy a new one or will a rebuilt stock one work just fine?

rebuild ONLY, napa has the kit

Alright thanks. And any recommendations about the exhaust size upgrade? I wouldn't mind it but I'm not looking to spend a fortune here. Just something that will help me keep and love a car I hope to keep for awhile. A little more pep never hurts though

2.25 with a flowmaster super 50 Delta flow, nice rumble, no drone, can hardly hear it when out of it

tune up kit

Ebay 8.5mm wires or cut to fit MSD's

NGK 3459 (for 3/4 plugs and drool tubes) gapped to .037 on stock ign, .045 on Petronix Coil

Petronix 60K E Coil 3OHM http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-60130/overview/

Fuel Line Mod http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15778

Have your dizzy recurved ( i can do it if you need) for 16 initial, 30 total mechanical by 2500, and 52 total with the VC208 vacuum canister (11R) or use the 8.5 thats probably in it.

they say a weber 32/36 or a weber 38/38 is a good replacement (power and mileage).
you will need an adapter for the super six intake. You will need after market linkage for the carb.
the above carb i believe jeeps use them.

The most important to check is major rust how good is runs means nothing when picking gravel out of your backside because the seat just went through the floor.

A 73 and 75 in NJ. The first thing you want to do is get in the air on a rack to check the rust.

they say a weber 32/36 or a weber 38/38 is a good replacement (power and mileage).
you will need an adapter for the super six intake. You will need after market linkage for the carb.
the above carb i believe jeeps use them.

Alright thanks, which one of the two would be more useful for a daily driver deal ?

The most important to check is major rust how good is runs means nothing when picking gravel out of your backside because the seat just went through the floor.

A 73 and 75 in NJ. The first thing you want to do is get in the air on a rack to check the rust.

Thanks if there is one thing I learned it's how terrible jersey rust can be so don't worry I def wouldn't make a purchase for a complete rust bucket lol

Alright thanks, which one of the two would be more useful for a daily driver deal ?

if your going to do a swap its cheaper and easier to find and buy a offy aluminum intake and use a 2 barrel adapter on it. on top use a holley 350cfm used and rebuilt it

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-7448/overview/

you'll probably be able to use the stock cable but will need to use a lokar kickdown cable assuming its an auto.

A slant six w/ 1 bbl is not big on horsepower but fine on torque, which is what the public terms "power". They were put in many trucks and vans, so have no trouble moving a light A-body. To realize max horsepower in any engine, you must scream it at 6000 rpm. Few people drive around like that, except dumb kids in little Jap cars. In my experience, there are many poorly rebuilt Holley 1 bbl carbs, especially the 1920, so you might spend time finding a good one or getting someone competent to rebuild it.

im not to far from you in gibbstown. i have a 2bbl intake with the exhaust still on it. im sure i could dig up a carb for it as well if you are interested when you get a car.

-
Back