Third gear going away?

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I know these common trans questions have been asked to death, but I thought I would throw this out there anyway in a last ditch attempt to not pull another transmission out.

I got my Dart going finally and took it on (several) shakedown drives only to discover I got a trans problem.

Driving around at slower speeds I notice that although 1-2 occurs at a normal speed, 2-3 is late and when it does shift, it won't grab the gear unless I back off the gas, and then it slidessss into third. If I give it any measurable gas, it slips pretty bad, but eventually grabs, almost like a CVT.

Everything else is fine. Engages quick, reverse works fine. No slippage in 1st or 2nd.

So, is this likely the same old story of burnt up clutches or is there some rabbit I can pull out of a hat? Yes and yes to proper fluid level and throttle rod adjustment, no to have I adjusted bands.

Thanks.

Too bad, so sad. But It's not looking good for the hi-drum lip seals. I suppose an air-test would prove it, but I'm convinced the lip seals are split. However if this tranny was sitting under the bench for many years,the lip seals could just be hard.So then I suppose a tune-up-in-a-can might be worth a shot.

-
Back