Third Tail Light

-

Logan

Reaction score
For anyone considering giving up some originality to gain a bit of insurance against getting hit in the arse, consider the third tail light from a '92 Ford Tempo (other years similar). Fit my '71 Swinger with only a bit of adjustment. Has two bulbs so connect your stop light wires separately and get directional indication as well...

Not a bad idea, but you really should not connect the third lamp to the directionals for a couple of reasons.

One of course is that it's supposed to be a stop lamp

Second is that if the signal switch should fail, WHICH IS a common failure in these switches, you won't have brake lamp power to the rear, only signals.

Run one more wire from the lamp, up to the column, and splice the lamp into the output of the brake light switch.

wow...you guys are adding brake lamps to your cars ? years ago around here, my buddies and I used to put toggle switches on our taillights to turn them off, when we were being chased by the law......LOL !

On my 73 Dart I turned the backup lights into two more brake and turns by replacing the backup lenses with brake/turn lenses and wiring them into the existing ones.

Now I have twice as many lights for turn signals, and twice as many for brakelights on the back of the car.

I put the third eye from an '88 Gran Fury in my Duster. Fit good, looks good too.
C

-
Back