This a Good Online Magnum Deal?

-

Justin Angle

Reaction score
Hey guys after reading some 11 second Magnum 360 combinations with junkyard bottom ends and visiting Magnumswap.com I'm pretty set on a Magnum for my Duster. I was going to the junkyard this weekend in hopes of finding one when that's in good shape without a ton of miles. Im planning on converting it to carb and following the combo from magnumswap.com and trying to break into 11s. But last night I came across this deal online on a Magnum longblock(link below) for 1,895 the site says it's regular 2,795. Do you guys think this is a good buy vs pulling one out of a junkyard... I'd still be against cam intake and carb but with having the heads and it being a rebuilt engine seems you may be money ahead but I may be wrong and anyone heard of this company? Still new to all this.
Thanks in advance

5.9 360 Long Block Crate Engine Sale, Remanufactured not Rebuilt

Hey guys after reading some 11 second Magnum 360 combinations with junkyard bottom ends and visiting Magnumswap.com I'm pretty set on a Magnum for my Duster. I was going to the junkyard this weekend in hopes of finding one when that's in good shape without a ton of miles. Im planning on converting it to carb and following the combo from magnumswap.com and trying to break into 11s. But last night I came across this deal online on a Magnum longblock(link below) for 1,895 the site says it's regular 2,795. Do you guys think this is a good buy vs pulling one out of a junkyard... I'd still be against cam intake and carb but with having the heads and it being a rebuilt engine seems you may be money ahead but I may be wrong and anyone heard of this company? Still new to all this.
Thanks in advance

Bought a mag core for $450
Rod/main bearings $60
Cam bearings $30
Double roller timing chain $50
Cheaper to build your own.
It will NOT need bored.
We didn't even put new rings in, it had 5% leakage when done!!

I have to agree with the above if you can do it.
Look for a wrecked truck and use some of the money you save for some CH318B Engine Quest heads and your cam set up.
The CH318B heads have the intake bolt arrangement like the LA motors have so you can use any small block intake you like instead of being chained to one choice of expensive Chinese intake.
The bottom ends of the magnums are pretty tough and stand up well, but the OE heads generally have valve and seat issues earlier on in the mileage.
I paid 500 delivered for my long block with 96k on it, and even though the bottom end bearings looked really nice and the cylinders had very visible cross hatching still in them I could see daylight between some of the valves and seats.

Normally the EQ heads come with 1.92 intake valves, but those can be replaced with 2.02 valves if you think you need them.

The JY Magnum engines, if the previous owner did care for them as in regular oil changes and didn’t beat on them as if there racing there trucks, etc..... there more than likely in very good shape.

The above example of a “Cheap” rebuild may not be the case on ether end IF you needed one. 1st, getting away with that cheap of a refurbishment is not likely going to happen and a proper rebuild even using the old OE parts is much more expensive. Never mind needing new pistons and a balance job.

If your talented to enough to do the work yourself but lack the tools to do so, that price is jumping up quick. Just find the lowest mileage 5.9 you can out of a non work truck if possible.

My 5.9 came out of a ‘00 Durango that was mostly used for towing a small boat. The trick itself was eaten up with salt water rust on the back half. But the engine was in excellent shape with only 80K in it.

I never heard of that place you put up. Located in Minnesota I see. I like that a lot. I think the pricing was good as well. However, overall, for the purpose of running 11’s, I don’t think that is your best or wisest route. If you were doing just a basic replacement or mild hot rod without the personal hassle of rebuilding the engine, I’d say it is a good route.

There transmission section was even pretty good.

I have to agree with the above if you can do it.
Look for a wrecked truck and use some of the money you save for some CH318B Engine Quest heads and your cam set up.
The CH318B heads have the intake bolt arrangement like the LA motors have so you can use any small block intake you like instead of being chained to one choice of expensive Chinese intake.
The bottom ends of the magnums are pretty tough and stand up well, but the OE heads generally have valve and seat issues earlier on in the mileage.
I paid 500 delivered for my long block with 96k on it, and even though the bottom end bearings looked really nice and the cylinders had very visible cross hatching still in them I could see daylight between some of the valves and seats.

Normally the EQ heads come with 1.92 intake valves, but those can be replaced with 2.02 valves if you think you need them.
Another vote for CH318B's.
And I forgot valve springs.
We went Hughes 1110's..

Ok. I'll just stick with the junkyard engine then. I really don't plan on rebuilding the engine. Id like to stay away from the machine shop as much as i can and lack the time and to really go into one. And what cam did you guys run with those heads? And what kind of horsepower numbers did you guys get?

Ok. I'll just stick with the junkyard engine then. I really don't plan on rebuilding the engine. Id like to stay away from the machine shop as much as i can and lack the time and to really go into one. And what cam did you guys run with those heads? And what kind of horsepower numbers did you guys get?
360 TrueStreet Magnum Build
I copied this..its everything J Rob claims it is.

Thanks in advance

Try looking on this site:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

It's a national database of salvage yards across North America including Canada, USA, and Mexico... You can do a search for your region and then sort the results by price, distance, or how many miles on the donor car... Some of them may also give you a short warranty...

Give it a look before making your decision...

My car is more of an open road car, so I had Oregon Cam Grinders do a Magnum roller regrind of 214/224 @50 with .512 lift and 110 LSA. (very slight cam sound)
I had to get longer push rods because of the cam regrind.
No idea on HP numbers, but it could run stronger with a bigger intake and carb.
(conservative on the cam, intake and carb gets me 25mpg exactly at 80mph on the hiway when in OD and converter lockup)

That's going to change a bit before long because I'm putting together a 8.25 with 3:55 gears and sure grip. (the last weak part is going away finally and it'll be time to play):D

I uploaded a youtube video the other day for a cold start contest, but keep in mind this is cold start and not really representative of how it sounds warmed up.

Last edited:
What trans/converter, rear gear & tire size are you running?

My car is more of an open road car, so I had Oregon Cam Grinders do a Magnum roller regrind of 214/224 @50 with .512 lift and 110 LSA. (very slight cam sound)
I had to get longer push rods because of the cam regrind.
No idea on HP numbers, but it could run stronger with a bigger intake and carb.
(conservative on the cam, intake and carb gets me 25mpg exactly at 80mph on the hiway when in OD and converter lockup)

That's going to change a bit before long because I'm putting together a 8.25 with 3:55 gears and sure grip. (the last weak part is going away finally and it'll be time to play):D

I uploaded a youtube video the other day for a cold start contest, but keep in mind this is cold start and not really representative of how it sounds warmed up.

With your 11 second goal, I don't see "staying away from the machine shop". What do you plan to do for cylinder heads? For "whatever" camshaft you choose, you'll have to have them set up for correct valve springs, including getting installed height correct, checked for retainer to guide clearance just for starters.

I think that "318 budget build" also used Oregon cam's MP_"RT" grind and also found the need for longer pushrods- found some off the shelf ones
post up what length for future builders guys

-
Back