This is bad part 2

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
When I got home today I put the 'Cuda on stands. I started her up to see what I could notice going on with the rear end. I looked back and the left rear wheel was wobbling while the car was in gear. So, I shut her off and pulled the wheel. That's when I noticed the axle wasn't seated. In fact nothing was even holding it in. The flange is behind the bearing. That's how the genius at the shop pressed it. I failed to notice the assembly because my wife picked them up for me and he didn't give the paperwork back that originally were included with the green bearings. So, in my haste I installed everything late last night because the old lady needed my daily driver while her Honda is down. So, the axles were literally coming out of the housing when I was trying to drive the car. Not smart at all on my part. I will still check the third member more closely though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 487
image.jpg

Yowzer.... That's one reason I spent a few $$ and bought an inexpensive press for my own.... paid for itself already with work on 2 trucks and a '62 Dart..... And I know things are right. I think you deserve one today....for your next birthday....regardless of when that is! Tell your wife "See the crap work I get? We NEED that press!"

BTW the bending that most folks were referring to the 1st thread was the axle tubes, not the axle shafts. A bent tube will not allow the axle shaft's splines to align straight into the side gears on the diff, and can put twisting loads on teh diff's side bearings.

I picked up some from the local napa a couple decades ago that we're installed on the axle like that... luckily I noticed it b4 we left....that's when I bought a press.

mike bee

Yeah, the HF presses work good. No reason not to have one. If we get outta this hole, I will be getting one meeself.

Yowzer.... That's one reason I spent a few $$ and bought an inexpensive press for my own.... paid for itself already with work on 2 trucks and a '62 Dart..... And I know things are right. I think you deserve one today....for your next birthday....regardless of when that is! Tell your wife "See the crap work I get? We NEED that press!"

BTW the bending that most folks were referring to the 1st thread was the axle tubes, not the axle shafts. A bent tube will not allow the axle shaft's splines to align straight into the side gears on the diff, and can put twisting loads on teh diff's side bearings.

I hate taking anything to a shop. The best part is the mechanic made me cut the old bearings off myself and then charged me a $100.00 for labor to do the pressing. Probably took 30 minutes top. There just isn't enough competent mechanics that know old cars or even care anymore.
Yea, I understood what they were saying about the axle tubes. I didn't really suspect that as an issue because I've driven this car very fast numerous times with that housing and a completely worn out third member and totally shot bearings. It never failed me. I am completely stoked about trying out the new 3:91 gears and sure grip. I expect her to be a high twelves or low thirteens car if getting these bearings sorted out fixes everything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 382
I picked up some from the local napa a couple decades ago that we're installed on the axle like that... luckily I noticed it b4 we left....that's when I bought a press.

mike bee

Working on a car during a stressful time is never a good thing. The simplest things can get overlooked. I feel like a complete douche for not noticing the bearings sooner. At least I wasn't the certified mechanic that did this and then charged a $100.00 to do it. Can't wait to see his expression when I take them back to him.

Press him for your money back.he probley will tell you to buy more parts and he will repress them for free.but hey you got one hell of a club when you go back to get your money

Well there IS a silver lining. You found what the trouble is and it's not very serious. Good luck with the repair. I wish you were local, I'd come help you myself.

Can you not just remove the spirolock retainer (snap ring), place the retention flange on the proper side and then re install the retainer? Just asking...not sure the bearings have to come off again, it appears that the machinist put the bearing on right but neglected to put the retainer on the shaft first. So why was it hard to turn - to me this wasn't the cause of binding?

I'm glad you caught it before having an axle come out going down the road. That coulda hurt reeeeal bad.

Can you not just remove the spirolock retainer (snap ring), place the retention flange on the proper side and then re install the retainer? Just asking...not sure the bearings have to come off again, it appears that the machinist put the bearing on right but neglected to put the retainer on the shaft first. So why was it hard to turn - to me this wasn't the cause of binding?

hmmm.... - unless the axles were already moving outboard enough to screw with the brakes maybe?... I know that the wear pattern on most drums tends to leave more material unworn down on the inside of the drums. Maybe that inner drum area was starting to drag on the shoes?

don't beat yourself up too bad about it... it was just dumb luck that I caught it b4 putting em in. it's all on the paid expert,hopefully he can salvage some of the parts.

also look on the bright side...it could've been a lot worse,and you learned something.

mike bee

I've had a press-on-axle bearing release the axle and let it fly out of it's bearing going around a corner.....the homemade traction bars under the leafs saved the ole' Ranchero from any real damage. So, it was a blessing for you that it did not move very far.

As for machine shops and stuff.... oddly, it is just the simple things that I have had messed up like pressing on bearings. Things like boring cylinders and head work have never been messed up. I suppose they give the simple press work to the junior guys. I can't believe it would cost $100 for a couple of bearings pressed on.

I've had a press-on-axle bearing release the axle and let it fly out of it's bearing going around a corner.....the homemade traction bars under the leafs saved the ole' Ranchero from any real damage. So, it was a blessing for you that it did not move very far
As for machine shops and stuff.... oddly, it is just the simple things that I have had messed up like pressing on bearings. Things like boring cylinders and head work have never been messed up. I suppose they give the simple press work to the junior guys. I can't believe it would cost $100 for a couple of bearings pressed on.
What I can't grasp is that he even had the instructions with the bearings. He's not a machinist. He's a mechanic. So, he should understand the basic workings of axles and flanges. If my bearings are going to get screwed up then I feel they owe me money to replace them.

I am hoping that it was the nuts and lockwashers grabbing the retaining ring around the bearing. That's all I can think of. Remember the flange was behind the bearing. So the retaining ring wasn't sitting as close to the axle flange as it was originally intended.

What I can't grasp is that he even had the instructions with the bearings. He's not a machinist. He's a mechanic. So, he should understand the basic workings of axles and flanges. If my bearings are going to get screwed up then I feel they owe me money to replace them.

I agree. Remind them that you didn't drive the car. It could have been MUCH worse.

I agree. Remind them that you didn't drive the car. It could have been MUCH worse.
Actually, I did attempt to drive it. I only got a block though before turning around because it wasn't sounding good at all. Just pulling the car into the backyard where the shop is the axle was already coming out.

hmmm.... - unless the axles were already moving outboard enough to screw with the brakes maybe?... I know that the wear pattern on most drums tends to leave more material unworn down on the inside of the drums. Maybe that inner drum area was starting to drag on the shoes?

I think he is onto something here, and yes you can carefully remove the spirolock and move the retainer out. I have had to do it before ( a buddy was in a hurry to get his car back together and forgot the retaining ring before pressing the bearing on )

-
Back