This is cool! never new it... W2 police

-
I remember the cast iron W2 intakes in the MP catologs. They were offered in 4 & 2 barrel configurations for the rules. I have seen them.

Loco, the W2 Little Red engine was not installed but a simple dyno tested engine. As I remember it. Never in the truck.

In 1979 my cousin had 1978 trans am that he bought new and installed a set of Ram Air III heads and intake, the car had less than 10K miles on it when the heads were changed. After everything was painted you couldn't tell it had ever been apart.

After reading this thread I wouldn't doubt that some where someone has that car and swears it came from the factory that way. LOL

BTW rustyratrod, cast iron W-2 intakes are not that uncommon.

Loco, the W2 Little Red engine was not installed but a simple dyno tested engine. As I remember it. Never in the truck.

I remember the article and am pretty sure there was a test truck. Hopefully I'll have time to do some more research in a week or two. I'm in the middle of 2 back-to-back double-header weekends.

Cool story.... don't buy into it. What intake would have been put on it? What cam would have been specially ground to take advantage of it. Didn't happen.

Good luck Myron! Wreck'em Kill'em bury there arse!

Cool story.... don't buy into it. What intake would have been put on it? What cam would have been specially ground to take advantage of it. Didn't happen.

Intake would have been the already mentioned W2 cast iron intake from Chrysler...
As for the cam ...they could have cams ground to whatever specs they needed in a phonecall.
We are talking about Chrysler ...Mopar... they did this stuff for a living.

As far as it being fact ...who knows ? but could they and would they ? In a heart beat if it meant getting 2 states worth of orders for Hiway Patrol order just to build a few hundred special pursuit cars. Chrysler was desperate for sales back then.

I've been in the car biz for 30 years . The factory will bend rules for sales..... maybe not as much now days but back then was a different time. I just got Acura to fill an order for a NSX build in a matter of days. Normally it would take a few months
before you could even get a build slot. Now that's not the same as building cars that dont meet emissions but it does show that the right people can get things thru.

Besides , I like to think that Ma Mopar was a bit of a wildcat .... don't kill my fantasy...lol

-
Back