this makes no sense/ car wont start

-

donaldderby

Reaction score
Alright ladies and gents heres the sanario, 1974 dart 318 2bbl. It has good spark, good compression, and is getting fuel but will not start. I have replaced the battery, plugs, wires, ICM, I ballast resistor, and cap/rotor. the car turns over strong and quick but only turns over very rarely she will spit once but shows no signs of wanting to start. this makes no sense please help. Thanks.

will it start if you shoot a little fuel down the intake or use starting fluid?
then its a fuel / carb problem

if not its a timing problem, do like like hellion said
also check the plug wires are not mixed up / out of order

or your timing chain jumped

If you can see fuel coming from the squirters and you have spark then it has to be in the timing.

First thing I would do is double check the firing order on your plug wires, then I would bring the number one piston to TDC and see if your rotor is pointing towards the #1 wire.

Turn the crank clockwise until the timing marks on the balancer are lined up at TDC. Remove dist. cap so you can see the rotor then "very slowly" turn the crank CCW until you see the rotor move. If the crank turns more than 10 degrees then your timing chain has got a pile of slop in it and it's jumped 2 or more teeth on the cam sprocket.

Demon seed i checked for t/c slop as per your directions and all appears to be well. Does anybody else any ideas?:confused:

Check firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Chrysler V-8 318 5.2 Liter Firing Order
Chrysler V-8 318 5.2 Liter Firing Order

fuel is fresh, i agree with the excersiom, however the oil smells gassy so i understand i should change it. as far as when it happened i dont know for sure i am purchasing it from a guy i know for a grand and the body and frame are good so i figure either way i got a deal. he told me it was running good and shut it off and it didnt start again whic made me think of the icm i figured since he replaced everything else i should go for it the only problem is its been sitting about a year now so i have that to contend with to.

I had something similar to this happen to me. There are two separate circuits, one for start and one for run. You wrote that it has spark, it may only spark when you are trying to start it. does it seem to catch and then die when you let off the key? I would check out the connections at the bulkhead and at the ignition switch under the steering column.

the oil does smell gassey so i willl look at rebuilding the carb than as far as the seperate ihgnition circuts go it will only catch for a sneeze than go back to straight cranking and only when allowed to sit for a day or so. I guess its rebuild time father daughter project for today. Thanks agian and ill let yall know how it goes.

-
Back