this may be a dumb qustion

-

daves 72 dart

Reaction score
i am putting caltracks on my dart and i need to lower and get 5" of play in the frontend of my dart.so my question is how do i lower and get the 5" of play in my front end? thanks and i hope this is not to dumb of a question.

I think the stupid question is the un-asked question. If you don't know, ya don't know.

So here is my question to you, what exactly do you mean by "Play?"

To lower the front end of the car, there is a bolt in the lower control which are about mid-way in the middle between the front and back halfs. If you have a lift, use it or you'll need to jack up the front in order to turn this bolt.
Counterclock wise out to lower.

Measure both sides for a ref. point to start with. Ethier at the fender lip or bumper or whatever.

thanks for thinking it was not a dumb question.what i ment by play was caltracks need at least 5" of travel to work properly.i gess thay are talking about upwerds travel.

i am putting caltracks on my dart and i need to lower and get 5" of play in the frontend of my dart.so my question is how do i lower and get the 5" of play in my front end? thanks and i hope this is not to dumb of a question.

Rumble is correct about setting the ride height with the bolt on the bottom of the control arms. Be aware though that when you alter the ride height you need to re-align the car.

Also, it sounds like you're looking for 90/10 front drag shocks. Loose or worn-out shocks basically serve the same purpose but drag-specific ones are probably better. Drag shocks allow the front end to rise on acceleration. Slant 6 torsion bars also help in this regard since 6 cylinder cars did not require stiff/heavy bars (springs) in front to support the car. The car's suspension works essentially like a lever. The traction bars help to plant the rear and the loose shocks in the front allow it to rise.

Hope that helps.

No traction bars, they can bend leaf springs. Pressure is not needed at that point. Pinion snubber or cal-tracs/comp slide a link.

thanks for the help guys. my dart came with 90/10 drag shocks.

Where did you get the 5" figure? Seems like a lot of travel. MP Chassis Book says the best suspension setting will give 1-3" of dynamic rise on good tires. Just quoting here.

-
Back