This really hurts !!!

-
I think those were the cars built for turbine engines. Entire project was scraped.

ouch, That's like the nos demon grille my uncle had sitting in a box in his shop.... threw it away because "I'm never gonna use that old thing, besides who would want it"

Ohhh man, that was sad! Another reason they were destroyed was Chrysler didn't want any of the engines to fall "into the wrong hands". I seen a mint Turbine car like that in the Chrysler museum in Detroit. Also seen one at the "Iola" car show in Wisconsin about 20+ years ago. I think there are only 2 left, one that is just a body and one that still has it's turbine engine and drives. One of the mopar rags got to drive one awhile back and ran a article on it, cool car!

These were the fleet of 50 Turbine cars made around 1963.
The bodies were made by Ghia in Italy and were for development and promotion. Chrysler did not want to pay the import tax on these cars so most were scrapped in think in the late seventies. A few ended up in museums and I think one or two were sold when the museums closed.

one of those was in MM magazine still wrapped in the bubble in a warehouse in chicago (i believe it's chicago) every thing was finned like the turbines: cool cars that was painful to watch

I got my dad to apply through our local Chrysler/Plymouth dealer to be one of the test families for that project! Yup, I've been a moparhead for a LOOONG time! I've even got a model of the Chrysler Turbine car over my workbench. look closely and you'll notice a few styling bits that carried over in the A bodies. The front fenders and the area of the headlights and below the grill were nearly copied in the first generation Darts, the roofline was used in the second generation Darts, The rear styling showed up in "C" body Dodges and Plymouths, and I'm sure I'm missing a few. I remember being bummed when I heard they were gonna scrap the cars after the test program.

I saw one at Monster Mopar Weekend about 5 or more years ago, very cool. I also purchased an orginal info brochure booklet on the turbine cars.

-
Back