This REALLY sounds like BS to me

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Usually "when someone dies" there is a responsible party, even an appointed member of administrative govt. to over see an estate

2003 hemi, 1500 4x4, supposed to have 43K on the clock

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/5129751000.html

I have a Dodge 1500 Club Cab "four door" it has no title because I bought it and the previous owner has since passed away ,its impossible to retrieve the title,I have tried and have been told I have to go through the state it is originally titled in.I moved home from North Dakota where I bought the truck believing the title would be sent or I could file for a lost title.I cannot so I'm forced to sell it for parts or to someone who wants to build a Mud Truck .Its in very good condition ,it runs great it has no problems other than it needs a brake job .Its a very pretty truck,in great shape and is very dependable .I wish to keep it but without having the paperwork I cannot register it so I can't drive it legally .So if you have questions please contact me .I am asking 3000.00 OR BEST OFFER

I certainly can't profess to know the title/registration laws of all states, but I'm pretty sure the few I've been to and people I've talked to from about 5-10 states, there are provisions to acquire a bonded or lost type title...a friend of mine in Texas took the very expensive route several years ago to get a bonded title where he had to send certified letters to all known past owners relinquishing ownership to the vehicle so he could get a title to it...moparmat2000 has done this too, and I don't recall his being that much of a pain-although there was a time element involved. So, I don't quite believe he can't get a legal title...expensive or convoluted perhaps, but not available--having a hard time believing that.

That's it. Unlike "some states" that have different definitions of "title" out here, both WA and ID state have to have titles. You cannot register it in Idaho unless you have either clear title, or the title holder allows you to register the thing.

What comes to mind when I see this stuff (decent "newer" low miles rig) is that somewhere, a bank is lookin' for it

Yea, Texas requires a title to register as well...I think you may be correct though about the bank aspect.

Offer him 2k, he takes $2500 and you've got a complete swap and can get money back parting the rest.

When I bought my 66 Val wagon in AR many moons ago, the owner had died and didn't have a will. His son sold me the car and it took him almost a year to finally get me the clear title after going through all the probate court hassles.

Well, it should be easy to determine. Ask him for the VIN. If he won't give it out, it's definitely fishy.

Well, it should be easy to determine. Ask him for the VIN. If he won't give it out, it's definitely fishy.

I'll tell ya whut. I don't believe in giving out VINs to prospective buyers, so for that little detail, not sure I can fault anyone.

Google Canadian car thief Dhaliwal

======================================================================

Here's an interestin' thought. I bet there are guys on here who are not quick about transferring titles, so just think about this one. I'm speaking of what I'm familiar, WA and ID state and probly MT

You buy a car and get the title. This is a guy to guy sale, you don't know the seller

You are lazy and you don't get the title transferred right away.

The seller goes "just on a whim" and applies for a LOST TITLE. In Idaho, a replacement title has language such that "this document replaces all other earlier documents" or similar.

So now you the guy with the car might just be sucking hind you-know-what with no proof of anything, and the seller has what he is gonna claim is a good title.

"My car was stolen I think the title might be in the car"

The VIN is listed in the ad.

Well, then, run the VIN -- there are several websites that will check it with state records. Or have a friendly cop do it.

And BTW, I won't deal with sellers that won't give me the VIN -- if they can't trust me, why should I trust them? There's no basis for a transaction. Paranoia will get you nowhere...

-
Back