This was a restoration technically

-

jimmys_64_dart

Reaction score
The Amazing Marvel Mystery Inverse Oiler

I got this off of a friend of mine a while back. When I got this it was so caked in oil and grease that you couldn't see any of the aluminum or glass. I got her all cleaned up and remade some gaskets and now she is pretty. I have no idea what year it is or what it came off of. I took it to show a few old car gurus I know and they started drooling like a teenager with his first playboy.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSCI0003.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 318
I had some before pics but they got deleted off of my camera. I thought about putting it on my website to see how much I can get out of it.

Here you go Pete ... they're pretty cool.

GENERAL

The MARVEL INVERSE OILER is operated by vacuum in the intake manifold, but inversely to the vacuum. When the vacuum in the manifold is high, such as when engine is running at idle (closed throttle) only a small amount of oil will feed, as engine is given work to do (throttle opened) the manifold vacuum falls and oiler automatically feeds more rapidly, increasing or decreasing oil flow now in strict accordance with the amount of work demanded of the engine.

Accelerating or gunning the engine without load will not show oiler action. Engine must be pulling under load.

Avoid operating oiler with container empty, as this will cause valve and seat to wear excessively.

Use of materials other than MARVEL MYSTERY OIL are apt to gum, corrode or rust the oiler and will VOID OWNER'S GUARANTEE

Here's the rest of the article if you want to check it out.

Marvel sold these for years and years. Just like Marvel Mystery oil, I don't think anyone knows if they really work or not.

im guessing they didnt really get anywhere with them. in all my years i have never heard or seen one them doohickeys

If anybody else is interested in picking one of these up there's on the Portland CL fairly cheap, seems to still have a sticker on the glass, and has a more complete mounting bracket. Not mine, just sayin' if y'all are excited about automated top-end lubrication...

I am waiting for the mounting bracket to come back from the chrome shop. As far as finding these GM had a deal with marvel for a while to put them on the Cadillac in the 50's I think. Over in the U.K. they put these on the Judson Supercharger for VW Beetles. Depending on the glass size and shape they go for $120-$250 you can also find them in a compact metal version. I find and collect all kinds of things and sell them either on my website, to Rat Rod Builders, or I keep them for an idea to use on my Rat Rod Build. I still have a old GM Autronic-Eye I found on a 56 Oldsmobile.

I just thought it was neat and wanted to share it with everyone.

-
Back