Those pesky lower quarters.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I was noticing one day that even cars without rust holes have chips and dings from crap off the tires, and it seems that if there isn't a trunk leak this must be the cause of the problem.
Does anyone make anything besides stupid looking mud flaps to help protect that area.

I was thinking to spray a strip along that lower area with rubberized coating that can be painted over.

Thoughts?

a lot of the rust these old cars obtain is rust from the inside not outside. yes rock chips the paint off that lower rear quarter, and will cause a rusty pinhole , but, it will rust from inside. cars like 68-70 b bodies that have a truck seal that NEVER ever kept water out of trunk, yes, that doesn't help., you will never find a rust free 68-70 b body that has seen rain. but these old cars will get dust inside that inside quarter, which turns to damp crap. like the inside of your doors, there is a drain there just like the rear qtr has that drain plug, but crap accumulates and doesn't get out.
take off the door panel; and see what is inside bottom of that door! same with that qtr if still in tack! crap that rusts it out.

like front frame rail under the floor. the rail rusts from inside not outside. the floor gets rust hole in it, water from there gets into frame rail along with dust/dirt. then it eventually rusts out.

after I replace that lower reat qtr and trunk extension, I spray epoxy primer/ paint inside best I can, then use a gun to spray undercoating/body Schultz down there. all I know to do.

main thing is after we restore a car, it generally is kept inside, hardly never gets out in the rain, so it should last many generations!????

a lot of the rust these old cars obtain is rust from the inside not outside. yes rock chips the paint off that lower rear quarter, and will cause a rusty pinhole , but, it will rust from inside. cars like 68-70 b bodies that have a truck seal that NEVER ever kept water out of trunk, yes, that doesn't help., you will never find a rust free 68-70 b body that has seen rain. but these old cars will get dust inside that inside quarter, which turns to damp crap. like the inside of your doors, there is a drain there just like the rear qtr has that drain plug, but crap accumulates and doesn't get out.
take off the door panel; and see what is inside bottom of that door! same with that qtr if still in tack! crap that rusts it out.

like front frame rail under the floor. the rail rusts from inside not outside. the floor gets rust hole in it, water from there gets into frame rail along with dust/dirt. then it eventually rusts out.

after I replace that lower reat qtr and trunk extension, I spray epoxy primer/ paint inside best I can, then use a gun to spray undercoating/body Schultz down there. all I know to do.

main thing is after we restore a car, it generally is kept inside, hardly never gets out in the rain, so it should last many generations!????

Understood.
I wasn't saying that is the only cause, just one of them.
Also seen the trim screws that leak into the trunk that people somehow miss.:banghead:
That and a pile of crap in the front between the lower fenders and body where the cowl drains dump garbage.

FYI, my doors don't have crap in them. :D

I used some clear chip guard stuff many years ago (spray bomb) on the wheel wells of a Firebird - worked like a charm. It had nearly that same texture as undercoating but dried hard as a rock - the car was primer grey, so I simply sprayed more grey primer over it once it dried - you had to look really close to see the stuff as I had followed the opening edge very closely. It might look a bit funky in the middle of a lower quarter...
I was noticing one day that even cars without rust holes have chips and dings from crap off the tires, and it seems that if there isn't a trunk leak this must be the cause of the problem.
Does anyone make anything besides stupid looking mud flaps to help protect that area.

I was thinking to spray a strip along that lower area with rubberized coating that can be painted over.

Thoughts?

this is what we use at workhttp://3mcollision.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/m/mmm05911-1.jpg

My buddy had the "clear bra" film put on his lower quarters and on the wheel well lip. Works great and you can't even tell that's its there.

the part number is 05911 its a 3m product. the nice thing is you can go thin or thick with it.

the part number is 05911 its a 3m product. the nice thing is you can go thin or thick with it.

That looks like what I want, thanks.
Is it a special order type product or can I walk in and get it somewhere?

this is what we use at workhttp://3mcollision.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/m/mmm05911-1.jpg

my puter wouldn't bring it up. I use body schultz undercoat, but they show a chip guard. clear no doubt. if as good as body Schultz, it would be great. TOO many people are 100% purist and will not do anything the factory did not do! I want a car to drive, and keep being a sold, decent looking car long after the resto.

Most of your auto body supply stores will carry this product. Odds are if they have automotive paint they will have this in stock.

IMO, a lot of rust issues will start because of gobs of factory body shutz landed between the quarter and inner panel.

On my own Dart and a cut out replacement piece from a dry AZ parts car showed a few gobs of hardened factory gunk wedged behind the quarters.
I was able to hack away a large amount of the stuff so it won't be able to hold any moisture.

Most of your auto body supply stores will carry this product. Odds are if they have automotive paint they will have this in stock.

Thank you, and I'll keep my eyes open for it.

IMO, a lot of rust issues will start because of gobs of factory body shutz landed between the quarter and inner panel.

On my own Dart and a cut out replacement piece from a dry AZ parts car showed a few gobs of hardened factory gunk wedged behind the quarters.
I was able to hack away a large amount of the stuff so it won't be able to hold any moisture.

Agreed on that one.
All kinds of non OEM stuff down there also. :D

-
Back