Thought I would share a tip

-

Crazy4Carz

Reaction score
In the past I have done engine swaps out through the hood (I can't tell you how many, LOTS!) and this time I decided to go out from the bottom. WOW what a switch. This was way easier. I fabricated this dolly to rest the engine and transmission on.

I welded this up with a couple "pins" sticking up that slide into the small holes in the K-Frame, and a small "V" that supports the trans.

enginecradle1.jpg

The next step is to simply unbolt the upper control arms, four bolts holding the k-frame to the car, disconnect the exhaust (this is easier at the collector rather than the headers), slip out the drive shaft, and pick up the body. Roll everything out from under the car then do the dis-assembly.

Here is the dolly under the car:

enginecradle.jpg

Picking up the body, soft straps keep from doing ant damage:

comming+out.jpg

Here is the engine on the Dolly easily rolled around the shop:

engine+on+floor.jpg

One of my favorite shots. With the engine mocked up next to the car.

IMG00102-20090206-2152.jpg

Good post and great advice. I dropped mine in through the top and I was sweating the entire time waiting to scratch or mangle something.

When/if I need to pull my engine, I'll be doing it this way. Thanks for posting pictures of the procedure.

This may sound like new stuff on our old cars but this is the way we do it on almost all the newer Fords, Taurus, escape, windstars, last one i did was a new sytle mustang GT that one was pretty cool cause it was real wheel-drive like our cars. We just have a small flat metal table on wheels, that has a scissor- hydraulic mech, like a fllor jack pump that lets the top of the table go up or down, so you can jack the motor up to work on easier once its out of the car. We just unbolt everything slide the table under and lift the car off the subframe. Works real good! One of the advantages of owning a mopar!

Thanks, Crazy. I am planning to use the same method on my 'Cuda. I like the frame and will try to build something similar. Thanks, for the pix, too.

Thanks for the pics of the cradle. When you can build it yourself it saves some money towards the project. I'm always amazed how many in our hobby forget this is the way Chrysler did it on the assembly line.

It's guys like yourself that are what makes this site valuable. That's a very nice and inexpensive piece. I'll bet i can build that dolly for $30 or maybe less, depending on the iron i have laying around. The wheels will be the expense. Thanks a bunch on the information and by the way, Welcome to this already great site of which you have already become an asset.
Small Block

That is slicker than goose excrement through a tin horn. Do you have dimensions on your device? Or are you planning on selling them?

Quote: One of my favorite shots. With the engine mocked up next to the car.

I can see why that would be my favorite pic too.

Thanks for sharing and keep sending updates on this car, very, very sweet ride.
If you had some more wording I could swear this was like reading a tech article from Mopar action/muscle.

-
Back