Thoughts about Independent Rear Suspension

-

brewil

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanting to get some feedback from you guys

I'm looking into working a prototype IRS based on the Art Morrison concept but for our A-bodies.

If it goes ahead I will post a build blog on FABO but I'd also like to know if anyone is interested
in IRS for their Mopars. The Mopar scene is fraught with expensive parts but the idea would be to offer something under what the other IRS companies are offering, especially since they're all for Chevy and Ford.

It's an idea at the moment so please don't take jabs before I have even begun but the concept would be a frame and the tubular parts based with the interested parties sorting out brakes and shocks.

Dig to know what people think.

Thanks,

Brett

Oops forgot to mention. The diff would also need to be purchased and would be the Legend GT TSD-500 / 600 which they sell for $850

Personally, for the cost this will surely involve, you are creating a VERY limited market. Serious drag racers probably won't want them, some of the vintage autoX racers can't use them as to class rules, and a huge majority of us can't afford them.

I have to give ANYONE who has the talent to pull this sort of thing off, "big credit"

Maybe a different approach would be to offer detailed plans / blueprints, and offer to sell the hard to make pieces

I agree with the above- realistically, what advantage would you get from IRS that you can't get from systems that are already out there, and who (as in, how many) would benefit from that advantage enough to justify the cost of designing and manufacturing the setup?

I would be interested if it met the following:

-allowed for running exhaust out the rear
-Eliminated issues such as suspension bind associated with other systems
-provided excellent handling (autocross & track)
-required modifications were manageable
-cost under $5k

Thanks,
Darin

I was thinking under 5k
It.may be do-able. I'll keep this thread updated when I get more info

Unnecessary waste of money. That's my thought.

-cost under $5k

Thanks,
Darin

If you could do all this, I think you would have interested parties. You'd basically have to assume that you're competing with all of the triangulated 4-link kits out there. So to be competitive your IRS kit would have to perform at least as well or better than the 4 links, or offer some worthwhile advantages, and not be too far out of that price ballpark.

-cost under $5k

Thanks,
Darin

All these things are easily done with the factory leaf spring suspension, so where is the advantage? Hell, Buddy Baker ran 200 MPH on bias ply 15" tires on a leaf spring suspension in 1970, so beat that and get back to me

Notice what IRS "it" wants ----99-03 Stang Cobra, and not T bird

So they are fitting up a kit that wants to see a very specific IRS, and one that was used in one model of a vehicle, and for only 4 years. No thanks...............and I don't even have any idea how good the "strength rating" is of that IRS

All these things are easily done with the factory leaf spring suspension, so where is the advantage? Hell, Buddy Baker ran 200 MPH on bias ply 15" tires on a leaf spring suspension in 1970, so beat that and get back to me

Look at all the road races that were won by Petty, Baker, Issacs, and on and on and on and on with solid axles mounted on leaf springs. There's simply not much that leaf springs cannot do. Very cheaply.

For Those that want to continue to use leaf springs then my question and research is obviously not for you but anyone who is interested to see what I come up with please bear with me as it is going to involve trial and error and research. Hopefully there will be a good outcome. IRS is not about straight lines/drag, it's about handling.

I have driven a few ISR cars aggressively. I find suspension bushings and locators wear quickly. Handling then is completely down the drain. Once that happens there is an appreciation of the simplicity, reliability,and adequate handing of leaf springs.

I personally think it is a solution to a problem that most people here do not have. However, it is easily done and has been. Just snatch a rear suspension from a Jaguar that some poor sucker could not afford to repair.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1302sr-independent-rear-suspension/

https://www.google.com/search?q=jag...oTCKDOzdSG7ccCFQTtHgodzlgKig&biw=1366&bih=690

I realize fully the point you are trying to make, but most of the "Hot Rod" "street rods" as they pictured in the article would not know if they had IRS, or the axle welded to the frame LOL

But the important thing is that it's go a lot of chrome LOL

1302sr-01%2bindependent-rear-suspension%2bjaguar-independent-rear-end.jpg

I realize fully the point you are trying to make, but most of the "Hot Rod" "street rods" as they pictured in the article would not know if they had IRS, or the axle welded to the frame LOL

But the important thing is that it's go a lot of chrome LOL
Exactly. Everybody knows chrome is good for 50 hp per pound. Or, as has been long said, if it don't go, chrome it. :yawinkle:

I am extremely interested in an IRS system, if someone doesnt start selling them I will be doing it myself. Even detailed instructions and blueprints would be great! It seems most people dont understand the huge advantages of IRS, sure you can get a solid axle suspension to work well on a nice and level race track where but the reality is almost all modern cars are IRS and it is for a reason.

I am extremely interested in an IRS system, if someone doesnt start selling them I will be doing it myself. Even detailed instructions and blueprints would be great! It seems most people dont understand the huge advantages of IRS, sure you can get a solid axle suspension to work well on a nice and level race track where but the reality is almost all modern cars are IRS and it is for a reason.

I just think the work and cost vs. benefit would be difficult to swallow. I agree that an IRS would be more beneficial. The only way I could see it possibly working for cheap is pulling a setup out of a Mustang (I believe very few of the Cobra models in the early 2000's had them), find a way to mount some springs or coil overs and IRS frame assembly to the frame rails, and get some wheels with the perfect backspacing to fit in the wheel tubs. Lots of fab...

Other than the fact that it would look cool, I agree with Rusty. I don't think you would sell enough to make it worth your time. RMS already has an AWESOME rear suspension kit that (when used in conjunction with their front Alterktion system) will make an A body corner like it's on rails. So I wouldn't invest too much money or time into it, you may not see much of a return on your investment. However, if you do go forward with the idea, I do wish you good luck.
https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=263

You know, after what Matt Farah and a few other well respected tubers said about IRS I'm interested. I don't have the money for it at the moment but it's an option for the future. From what I've seen and heard about IRS under stangs it does make a difference.

You know, after what Matt Farah and a few other well respected tubers said about IRS I'm interested. I don't have the money for it at the moment but it's an option for the future. From what I've seen and heard about IRS under stangs it does make a difference.

Yeah, I watch almost all of Matt Farah's One Takes on the Smoking Tire and he can't stop talking about the IRS whenever he drives his Fox Body or a '15 Mustang. And yes, if setup correctly, it should be a better system than a solid axle. But unless you're running through a road course or through a mountain pass going well beyond the speed limit, I don't think the average driver on the street would be able to tell the difference.

Roadster shop has a really nice setup, not cheap though:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntCPCwr9ZXE"]RS Fast Track IRS Overview - YouTube[/ame]

Working out the geometry and supplies. This will work with a LegendGT TSD-500 Diff.

-
Back