Thoughts on 5.2 Magnum direction.

-

Revhendo

Master ACME Tech
Reaction score
So, the 340 stroker for my Valiant has kind of stalled and been in limbo for awhile.
A friend of mine's neighbor stacked his 95 Dakota with a 5.2 and a 46rh (Alldata said it was a 42rh) and I picked it up cheap. It had sounded healthy before the wreck, so for the price I can't really get hurt. On the plus side, It had a set of decent Procar seats and a Hurst V-Matic shifter. The seats are already installed. Thinking on the shifter right now. I've collect a bunch of parts in anticipation of the stroker, Doug's headers, 3.55 suregrip equipped 8.75 rear, Proform carb, etc. and most all can be used on this

So, the engine and trans are now sitting in my garage. I've got parts to sell off of the Dakota. I have a couple of 350 Chevy engines and transmissions to pedal off, also. Hey, don't judge, I gotta garage to clean out while I'm at it.

Now my thinking was to just clean it all up and drop it in the Valiant and keep the F.I. for giggles. I've done more LS swaps than I can remember, so this would be sort of a no brainer. I'd have to study some wiring, build a fuel system for it, figure out if I want to go serpentine or V-belts. Now, that it's out, I'm gonna crack it open and check bearings, replace the rear main, see if it has had a cam swap to match the headers and Holley TB that were on it. The usual. Ultimately the car will go Fuel Injection on the stroker, but obviously that will be beyond the limits of the factory controller.

But......

It would be easier to just throw a carb intake on it, figure out the 4th gear and lock-up on the trans and drive down the road. When/if the stroker ever gets finished, it's just an engine swap. Plus, I wouldn't be limited by how much shenanigans the OBD 1 PCM will tolerate.
I can build an F.I. fuel system that can be dialed down for carbs, so that's not the big road block in anyway. I could put a bit of a cam in it for a bit of a rumble for giggles right now, too.

I know, I know, pick a plan and go with it. I was just trying to get it out there and get some feedback. You know how things always sound different in your head. What do y'all think?

I hear the magnums are great platforms to build up, however the weak spot is the stock iron heads. Engine quest has new improved flow iron magnum heads called monster magnums that also have the cracking problem solved on their redesigned castings.

They can be had in one of 2 ways. drilled and tapped for an LA intaie, or drilled and tapped for a magnum style intake. If you end up needing a pair of these and plan on going carbed id recommend getting the ones drilled for an LA intake as theres more of those out there, in many different configurations cheaper than a magnum intake for a 4bbl carb. The cost between the EQ magnum intake drilled heads and EQ LA intake drilled heads is negligible.

I hear the magnums are great platforms to build up, however the weak spot is the stock iron heads. Engine quest has new improved flow iron magnum heads called monster magnums that also have the cracking problem solved on their redesigned castings.

They can be had in one of 2 ways. drilled and tapped for an LA intaie, or drilled and tapped for a magnum style intake. If you end up needing a pair of these and plan on going carbed id recommend getting the ones drilled for an LA intake as theres more of those out there, in many different configurations cheaper than a magnum intake for a 4bbl carb. The cost between the EQ magnum intake drilled heads and EQ LA intake drilled heads is negligible.
Yeah, been pondering that, too. There's also the option of drilling the stock heads for an LA intake if they aren't cracked.

This is what I'm working with. Just looking for some ideas for my unquiet mind.
20170516_192726.jpg

If low bucking,Rev Kev, ....I would do the Air Gap, Chinese manifold, and a good 600 650, vac sec of your choice... Did you grab , the computer , brother?....
P.S..... Trailbeast, is your best friend, on o.d. transmissions here, Kevin.. He, is kickin' *** , here....

Last edited:
If low bucking,Rev Kev, ....I would do the Air Gap, Chinese manifold, and a good 600 650, vac sec of your choice... Did you grab , the computer , brother?....
P.S..... Trailbeast, is your best friend, on o.d. transmissions here, Kevin.. He, is kickin' *** , here....
Yep, got it all in its OBD 1&1/2 goodness. :lol:

I seriously don't know how much modification the 95 pcm will tolerate.

Pretty sure I'm over thinking it. But that's all part of the car disease.
That's O.K... Kevin... My overrated 750 priced double pumper, is nice... but a P.ITA.....It runs by gallons, for hour.... Old. trusty 4779 Holley, coming out retirement......

That's O.K... Kevin... My overrated 750 priced double pumper, is nice... but a P.ITA.....It runs by gallons, for hour.... Old. trusty 4779 Holley, coming out retirement......
I bought a 750 Proform with vac secondaries, elec choke, four corner idle and jet extensions for my stroker stalled build.

And the Doug's headers

And the spool mount crossmember

And the MSD 6AL

And the complete 3 inch exhaust system

And the..... :rofl:

I bought a 750 Proform with vac secondaries, elec choke, four corner idle and jet extensions for my stroker stalled build.

And the Doug's headers

And the spool mount crossmember

And the MSD 6AL

And the complete 3 inch exhaust system

And the..... :rofl:
Ironic... i can't get to get my Quick Fuel 750 d.p. to quit fouling plugs, with a MSD.... wacky stuff.., gonna kit, my multiple drilled 4779.... Wish, me luck....:)

If YOU HAVE OBD 1 ...Rev Kev... Four eyed fox, was doing preassembled OBD1 Magnum Swap wire harnesses....

If YOU HAVE OBD 1 ...Rev Kev... Four eyed fox, was doing preassembled OBD1 Magnum Swap wire harnesses....
Good luck with the 4779, you'll do fine I'm sure.
The wiring harness isn't a problem for me. I'm vaguely familiar with a schematic. ;D
It's the computer that has me curious. I will probably run it as is. If I have to start throwing big money at it, I'll unwrap the 340 and finish it up. But hey, I got me an overdrive trans at the very least.

^^You do know that trans won't go in your tunnel without some "work"?

My advise, skip the fuel injection for now, throw the chinese air gap on it, put in the car and be driving in a weekend....you can easily add the FI back to it later, after its in the car....easy peasy. If it was running good before the wreck DON'T tear it down, it's a snowball from there. PUT IT IN THE CAR!!!

Why even try? A simple Megasquirt controller would be much easier, and allow for almost unlimited tunability.
Agreed. My objective is to get her up and running in an expediant manner. The Megasquirt or similar is the ultimate goal for the 340 stroker. I just want to drive her with some V8 power for now.

Agreed. My objective is to get her up and running in an expediant manner. The Megasquirt or similar is the ultimate goal for the 340 stroker. I just want to drive her with some V8 power for now.
Carburetor for now......just sayin....

-
Back