thoughts on cam?

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am wanting to go a step down from my current cam which is the Comp XE284H. 284/296 .507/.511. I like the cam but it's just a little too radical for the stop and freeway driving I usually do. I was thinking about switching to a hydraulic roller such as this one by lunati. #72337-16. The overall goal is to have a nice driver that can still run high 12's. The motor is a 77 10:1 360 with ported X heads air gap 750 cfm carb msd everything tti's. It has a 727 w/ a 2500 rpm stall and 3.55's and I'm not switching the gears because of all the freeway driving I do. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm also considering a hydraulic roller due to not wanting to run specific oil or an additive with the oil. Also there's no strict break in period either.

Have you thought about trying Rhoads lifters? Softens the manners a little on the low end but 3500 and up is supposed to remain unaffected. There are a few folks here who love them.

I haven't tried Rhoads lifters but have heard of them. Didn't know anyone here used them. I would consider that, has anyone used them and can say if they liked them or did what they were advertised to do? Would it make a difference in the amount of duration my cam has? 284/296 240/[email protected]. This is in an auto btw.

Rhoads lifters bleed off camshaft duration at idle to roughly 2000-3000 rpm. Roughly smooths out the idle & low end response,and raises manifold vacuum. I have run 4 or 5 sets over the years,they worked for me. They do have a solid lifter sound at idle.(mild chatter). The lifters return to full valve events at mid range rpm.

Look into he Rhoads VMax if you're thinking about those type lifters. They offer one with direct oiling to the cam lobes. Only one for the small block that does, I think. They ain't cheap, but they offer something the rest of the variable duration lifters do not. Adjustability. You can adjust them on how much they bleed off. They adjust in a similar fashion to a solid lifter using feeler gauges. They can actually even be used on a solid camshaft. They can sustain very high RPM.

If the idle of your current cam is irrating to you, grind the above on a 112 centerline for smoother idle (sacrafice top end though).

X2

That duration isn't that radical. It has a 106cl though

I would run a MP .455 lift 268/276 duration cam. It is the 340 replacement cam. Idles as smooth as a 318 2bbl. I ran that in my J head 360 with 750 dp holley, 10 inch TCI converter with 3.23 gears and ran 13.30's all day. One guy got 12.90's with about the same combo I had but ran 3.91's, but he did NOT have headers, he ran 340 manifolds on his 360. Just another option, I guess......

I would use the rhoades lifters..they really smooth out the idle

I am thinking about buying the lifters and giving them a shot. It is a great cam but was considering a step down to gain a little easier idle and a little more low end vacuum and response. Sounds like they work and people are actually happy with them.

My "thoughts on a cam" are, your engine will run better with one than it will without one.

318 in my demon,284/484 was a bit too much, installed rhoads lifters, what a huge difference in idle quality and torque, still sounded rumpy, but totally increased bottom end torque, very impressed and happy. almost tempted to try 292/508 with these
lifters,after 3000 comes on hard!

They can be quite beneficial. Like having two cams in one. IMHO though, I think the 508 cam is too big even for Rhoads lifters. You'll still need a somewhat loose converter and some lower gears. I would think a 2500 stall and 3.55s would be the bare minimum. That is a really BIG hydraulic cam. They would still help I am sure.

I am thinking about buying the lifters and giving them a shot. It is a great cam but was considering a step down to gain a little easier idle and a little more low end vacuum and response. Sounds like they work and people are actually happy with them.

Keep your cam and pop in some Rhoades lifters.

I used them on a 340 with a 484"/284° cam and it increased my idle from 10" at 1100 RPM to 13" at 800 RPM with a much smoother idle. It added more low end torque and hp.

Here's the list of part numbers:

http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Pages/PartNumber.html

Here's how they work. Read the second article on the link.

I've been using Rhoades for over 25 years now and had no problems with them. I once got one that had a small defect where there was a little porosity in the casting that did not machine out. I called them and described the defect to them and they sent me another one out that week and didn't even ask me to send the bad one back. I was very happy with how they support the customer.

I also had them make a set for my dad's Hemi. They usually don't have Hemi lifters (back then at least), so they told me to buy a set of Sealed Power Hemi liftes and send them in to them, and they machined their special groove in them. They work fine.

I've also ran them on daily drivers and run them over 250,000 miles. they hold up and help performance. I would just put in the Rhoades lifters with your current cam. You will like the performance increase and smoother idle.

Keep your cam and pop in some Rhoades lifters.

I used them on a 340 with a 484"/284° cam and it increased my idle from 10" at 1100 RPM to 13" at 800 RPM with a much smoother idle. It added more low end torque and hp.

Here's the list of part numbers:

Here's how they work. Read the second article on the link.

I've been using Rhoades for over 25 years now and had no problems with them. I once got one that had a small defect where there was a little porosity in the casting that did not machine out. I called them and described the defect to them and they sent me another one out that week and didn't even ask me to send the bad one back. I was very happy with how they support the customer.

I also had them make a set for my dad's Hemi. They usually don't have Hemi lifters (back then at least), so they told me to buy a set of Sealed Power Hemi liftes and send them in to them, and they machined their special groove in them. They work fine.

I've also ran them on daily drivers and run them over 250,000 miles. they hold up and help performance. I would just put in the Rhoades lifters with your current cam. You will like the performance increase and smoother idle.

This, and then some. Used them six or seven times. Pre load and some homework is needed, worth it. My Chev rat (396),I swapped a Summit 296/306 advertised,238/248 @ .050. Had 6" of vacuum at idle. Rhodes alone ,got it to 10" .(no timing or carb changes ) .Added 6 initial (to 24 initial) ,picked up another 2 inches of vacuum. Speaking of,what's ;your timing curve at idle and what's total at witch r.p.m.?.

-
Back