thoughts on distributor?

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
Who here has the mopar performance, vacuum advance distributor on their small block? Ive got a stock 318 dist. in my 360 and thinking of an upgrade. Also what about th

heres on from mancini racing im thinking about
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/vacadeldis.html

Or what about this? HEI?
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/prel.html

whats the deal with HEI anyway? sorry never read up on them or worked with them, but isnt HEI what GM uses?

any thoughts on either?

Had the one same in mine since 1984.Put in lighter springs and took out some vacuum advance , the factory setting is way to much.Have put in 5 of them over the years in different cars and they all had to much vacuum advance straight out of the box .Otherwise not a single problem ,the mopar dist's work well for me

When I ran a chevy 4 pin HEI I had better spark, better fuel mileage and better performance. I will be running one with the 360 in my 53 and the slant in Nikkis 48.

I have the procomp HEI setup...... looking forward to it.... i have two threads about the distributor.. once i figured out what i was dealing with, it's pretty easy....

Tate, I have not had or talked to anyone personnaly about the HEI unit.

I tried tha Mancini OE distributor and had to send it back 3 times before they came to the conclusion that all the S/B distributors did not have the adjustable vacuum advance unit on the side like there suposed to have.

I have not had an issue with the OE or MP hi-po units. There a good solid unit that simply works and works well for me. I only add the Chrome box or a MSD to it and I have found it to be just fine. Skip the Orange box

Had the one same in mine since 1984.Put in lighter springs and took out some vacuum advance , the factory setting is way to much.Have put in 5 of them over the years in different cars and they all had to much vacuum advance straight out of the box .Otherwise not a single problem ,the mopar dist's work well for me

thanks thats good to know

Tate, I have not had or talked to anyone personnaly about the HEI unit.

I tried tha Mancini OE distributor and had to send it back 3 times before they came to the conclusion that all the S/B distributors did not have the adjustable vacuum advance unit on the side like there suposed to have.

I have not had an issue with the OE or MP hi-po units. There a good solid unit that simply works and works well for me. I only add the Chrome box or a MSD to it and I have found it to be just fine. Skip the Orange box

I see, I already have a chrome box but my distributor is just plain wore out. So theres really not going to be much of a difference between the mopar hipo one and the OE distributor? If thats the case what company makes a solid OEM distributor? I dont want to go through the local parts stores (napa, advanced auto, ect...)....I have been seeing some quality issues with their distributors.

The difference in the OE and hi-po distributor is the rate of timing advance with the springs. The vacuum advance canister on the side is listed as adjustable on the MP unit. Or should be.

On your stock unit, you can install one or both of the quick advance springs. There like 2$ from MoPar. You may not need both, the advance is preety quick with both.

If you want a new distributor and do not want to go through MoPar, look through the Summit racing and lok up ethier Accel or Mallory.
Mallory makes most of the distributors of most aftermarket companys.
MSD also has a nice vacuum advance version, but I have not personnaly used a MSD distributor. I have had in the past a Accel and a Mallory. I like the Mallory. But there are sooooooooooo many from Mallory, you had better ask for help on it. I have to.

-
Back