thoughts on these int. reg. alternators?

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
okay, i am re-wiring my 68 barracuda very soon... I have a 12-circuit mini fuse kit from e-z wire. i will be using relays and such for the headlights, and mostly all new wiring. so given this background of my wiring, I will be able to support an aftermarket alternator. I'm fine with a 70 or 80 amp unit, I don't think I'll need more than that.

What I am interested in is the internally regulated alternators. I would like to stay with the mopar style because I have the summit aluminum alternator bracket, (similar to march bracketry). I am trying to simplify things and not have a mess of wires, and not sure if I like the external voltage regulator and the all the wires that go with it.

Here is a list of alternators from summit made by powermaster/tuff stuff.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...tors/Make/PLYMOUTH/?keyword=alternator&RC=100

I know a one wire isn't too good of a setup for a street car, correct? something cuz it puts out constant voltage to the battery and doesn't sense when accessories are turned on??

Is the other one that's recommended a dual field?

Those are not actually internally regulated. There is a generic chinese regulator hung on the back, with a bunch of wires poked through the case:

powercrapper1.jpg

You would be better off using a standard two terminal alternator, and an OEM electronic regulator on the firewall - parts you can get anywhere in a hurry.

Use the powermaster alt if you want a pretty black 100 amp unit that will fit in your existing bracket - but skip the 5 buck regulator patched on to the back of it.

B.

okay, i am re-wiring my 68 barracuda very soon... I have a 12-circuit mini fuse kit from e-z wire. i will be using relays and such for the headlights, and mostly all new wiring. so given this background of my wiring, I will be able to support an aftermarket alternator. I'm fine with a 70 or 80 amp unit, I don't think I'll need more than that.

What I am interested in is the internally regulated alternators. I would like to stay with the mopar style because I have the summit aluminum alternator bracket, (similar to march bracketry). I am trying to simplify things and not have a mess of wires, and not sure if I like the external voltage regulator and the all the wires that go with it.

Here is a list of alternators from summit made by powermaster/tuff stuff.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...tors/Make/PLYMOUTH/?keyword=alternator&RC=100

I know a one wire isn't too good of a setup for a street car, correct? something cuz it puts out constant voltage to the battery and doesn't sense when accessories are turned on??

Is the other one that's recommended a dual field?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
keep us posted on the re-wire w/ the E Z harness, I`ve got one strung out in the floor now, so I`m facing the same thing. problem is w/ me, I`m trying to keep the rally dash gauges (formula s), think I`m in over my head so far! engines-fabrication - plumbing no problem, but wiring, I don`t got it! waiting on a 68 service manual now, hope that helps! good luck w/ yours, maybe you can give me some pointers! bob:coffee2:

The big problem with "one wire" setups is if you want to run a trunk mount battery, you have to take steps to kill the feed so the car does not run on, or else run another large gauge charging wire to the back

Now when you do that, the charging voltage on a "one wire" is established RIGHT AT the alternator output, so the voltage drop all the way to the back and back up front to feed the operational system of the vehicle, is going to suffer SOME voltage drop. IE the alternator MAY be properly regulating 14.2V AT THE output stud, but it won't be the same at the main feed to the car system

So far as these powermaster setups, unless you buy a spare, you cannot buy replacement parts for them "on a weekend" or on the road WHEN it breaks. If you stay with stock stuff, you can easily repair it and get parts.

Even if you adapted a 10/12SI GM integral regulator unit, either 3 or 1 wire, at LEAST you can buy parts at any store.

okay thanks....

Also, I've been reading about those toyota denso alternators on this site, and I heard ones maybe from a select year dakota would fit stock brackets?? or maybe i mistaken, i know that there are other brackets available from AR Eng. or magnum HP, but ultimately im trying to stay with the same aluminum one I have...

ill prolly have to just deal with the stock alt. setup, if there isnt anything available..

-
Back