Thoughts on this 318 recipe

-

Scott Warner

Reaction score
Hey all...been amassing parts to wake up my 1969 318...love to hear your input.
Yes...I am fully aware of everyones opinion being everyones opinion.. so I will take no butt hurt from the responses, and everyone who says Stroke it or throw it away and start with a 360...yall can just zip it. This is low buck...some left over parts, some used, the rest discounted or severely discounted.

The starting point is very strong running unknown mileage 1969 318 numbers matching to its chassis and freshly rebuilt 904 (also with matching numbers).

The parts list
Used Edelbrock Performer heads fresh from the machine shop milled to 60cc with springs to match the
Voodoo 10200702 adv 265in 271ex/ @.050 220in 226ex/ lobe sep 112/recommended 108 install. .475in .494ex lift.
PRW stainless rollers 1.5 with B3 correction kit
.028 mr gasket head gaskets
Edelbrock performer intake (would have preferred the rpm..but couldn't find one)
One inch alloy spacer to fit the
Holley 3310 750vs
NOS electronic distributor, old orange box, new harness
New Patriot headers (only one that would fit P/S and column shift besides tti and Doug and not break the budget.)
Jegs 2.5 exhaust with chamber mufflers
180 t stat, clutch fan from late 440, 26in radiator.

That's about it...I have been away from cars for 20+ years, my last cars were 383s and 440s...few chebbs and pontiacs. The last 318 I had was the stocker in my 84 Ramcharger....So...runner or dog?

Thanks

Looks like you nailed it to me. Tuned, that combination will be a runner. In any A-body with the correct TC if it is an automatic, in any case if is a manual transmission. Need photos of the car.

Well....this is actually in a Coronet 440...but yall have the small block gurus over here at FABO.

I have no info on the tranny ( it was just done when I bought the car 4 years ago...been parked since)..so I'm gonna see how it does as is..but planning on a 3200-3500 stall.

Well...when the SRBs aren't running....It's a 3.23 SG 489 case with a 28in tire. I'm looking for 3.91s.

Well....this is actually in a Coronet 440...but yall have the small block gurus over here at FABO.

I have no info on the tranny ( it was just done when I bought the car 4 years ago...been parked since)..so I'm gonna see how it does as is..but planning on a 3200-3500 stall.

It's a 3.23 SG 489 case with a 28in tire. I'm looking for 3.91s.
How much does one of those things weigh?

What's your goal? Put it on the trailer and do tens and nines at the drag strip or daily drive it? It sounds like you're after horsepower?

my thought would be it would like a little help from a better than stock converter.

Non highway cruiser for now....dual purpose when the 440/518 are done
I would say if you're trying to get that teener to make all that weight get moving and you're not planning to put it on the freeway much if any I would be looking at something and 410 gears or higher depending on how seriously quick you want to get all that weight moving with that small engine.. possibly something that would work well with an overdrive anyways...

The thought crosses my mind every here and there to finish the 440 and sell it to add a torqstorm and fund a full 360 build.

I would say if you're trying to get that teener to make all that weight get moving and you're not planning to put it on the freeway much if any I would be looking at something and 410 gears or higher depending on how seriously quick you want to get all that weight moving with that small engine.. possibly something that would work well with an overdrive anyways...
Currently on the hunt for 3.91s

I can't find much to snivel about. Seems pretty well thought out. I'm super glad you called Mike and corrected your geometry, and NO I don't get paid to send Mike work or get free parts from him or none of that crap. He makes a great product and a great price point so now, other than ignorance, there is no reason not to fix it. Good for you for going the extra bit to do it.

Glad I got that off my chest.

My only snivel would your carb. I know everyone and their mother loves the VS carb, but I've always said they are boat anchors. Even with the lightest spring in the can, most of them never fully open the secondaries. I've seen BBC's on the dyno at 7500 not open the secondaries all the way.

I'd rather see a double pumper on there. That's about it.

Other than that, nice work. And most will tell you I'm wrong about your carb. That's ok. Their people think the world is flat.

I've never had luck in my early years with a DP on an auto...but I have learned how to drive...and tune carbs better since I last tried one. I'll think about that one.

Had a long chat with Mike B3...didnt know he was a Prw dealer...would have ordered from him..but already had em coming from PitStopusa...BTW..if anyone is looking....there are only a few sets left at Pitstopusa....and they're $365...that's what I paid last week 480 almost everywhere else

Last edited:
I can't find much to snivel about. Seems pretty well thought out. I'm super glad you called Mike and corrected your geometry, and NO I don't get paid to send Mike work or get free parts from him or none of that crap. He makes a great product and a great price point so now, other than ignorance, there is no reason not to fix it. Good for you for going the extra bit to do it.

Glad I got that off my chest.

My only snivel would your carb. I know everyone and their mother loves the VS carb, but I've always said they are boat anchors. Even with the lightest spring in the can, most of them never fully open the secondaries. I've seen BBC's on the dyno at 7500 not open the secondaries all the way.

I'd rather see a double pumper on there. That's about it.

Other than that, nice work. And most will tell you I'm wrong about your carb. That's ok. Their people think the world is flat.
This ad brought to you by your local machine shop... Enter your promotion code for 420% off...

I've never had luck in my early years with a DP on an auto...but I have learned how to drive...and tune carbs better since I last tried one. I'll think about that one.

Had a long chat with Mike B3...didnt know he was a Prw dealer...would have ordered from him..but already had em coming from PitStopusa...BTW..if anyone is looking....there are only a few sets left at Pitstopusa....and they're $365...that's what I paid last week.
You have the VS, it will work. I agree with YR, a DP would work better. I have one on my stock 360, auto w/stock converter, 2.94's. It works flawlessly. I can mash it at any point and it's like fuel injection.

You have the VS, it will work. I agree with YR, a DP would work better. I have one on my stock 360, auto w/stock converter, 2.94's. It works flawlessly. I can mash it at any point and it's like fuel injection.
It was originally intended for my 440...but when I started looking at what I was creating out of the 318....decided it needed it...and thinking about the 440...its gonna need a dominator...so...win win. After I'm done putting this together...see how it runs...next big swapmeet isnt till spring.

All done I'd be satisfied with 300/320 at the wheels for now.

Ballpark 9.5 CR...if that cam works as I'm hoping...and the bit of port matching works with the head flow...I dont think I'm asking too much.

LOL I wish I got money off from Mike. And I get the cut of your jib. You've got to get up way before 8 am to get that by me.
I got up at 4: 30 this morning and made coffee. When my wife finally got up at eight-thirty I told her she had to microwave coffee because the coffee maker turned off 2 hours ago.
You got to get up before 4: 30 to fool me...

-
Back