Three on the tree conversion?

-

Longroof66

Reaction score
A guy down the road from me has a complete 225, 3 on the tree, column, pedal assy, pretty much everything I need to convert my 66. However it's a 71 and I'm not sure that will just "swap" out .

It's close enough to make work. That is unless he wants a ton for it. You "might" have to tweak a shift rod here or there. I just tried recently to swap in a heavy duty A230 3 speed, which is the transmission he "should have". The shift levers from the little A903 swapped right over and were in the right places for the shift rods to attach.....the problem was the transmission hump is too small. The A230 is the same physical size as the A833 four speed, so it needs the four speed hump installed and I am not going to do that. I may put it back down at a later date and see if I can maybe push the tunnel out on that side with a port a power. Anyway.....that's kinda gettin off track on what you asked. The answer is, yes, you can make it work. It just all depends on how much work you want to do.

Last edited:
It's close enough to make work. That is unless he wants a ton for it. You "might" have to tweak a shift rod here or there. I just tried recently to swap in a heavy duty A230 3 speed, which is the transmission he "should have". The shift levers from the little A903 swapped right over and were in the right places for the shift rods to attach.....the problem was the transmission hump is too small. The A230 is the same physical size as the A833 four speed, so it needs the four speed hump installed and I am not going to do that. I may put it back down at a later date and see if I can maybe push the tunnel out on that side with a port a power. Anyway.....that's kinda gettin off track on what you asked. The answer is, yes, you can make it work. It just all depends on how much work you want to do.
Went to the races last night right after I made that post. Anyhow I'm not sure which trans this is yet but I'm assuming it's the smaller one simply because it's just a standard 71 dart 4 door. 500 for EVERYTHING, engine, trans, column, pedal assy,drive shaft, crossmember. The only drawback is I have to go over and pull everything. Its HOT here right now so now that I know it will work with some minor mods, I'll get started next week when it cools down a bit. Anyhow thanks for the response, I feel a little more confident now about the purchase. I just think 500 is a hell of a deal for ALL those parts. Thanks again...

I would not pay $50. I was able to get the whole works from a 65 for $75 delivered to my house.

If it's a 71, and has the original transmission it should be the heavy duty A230, not the small A903.

While you can "make" it work I think it would be far easier to find and buy the correct year parts for your conversion. While floor shift 4spd parts for a '66 are scarce manual column shift parts are not, at least in my area.

A guy down the road from me has a complete 225, 3 on the tree, column, pedal assy, pretty much everything I need to convert my 66. However it's a 71 and I'm not sure that will just "swap" out .
A slant 6 in '71 could have either a 230 or 903 transmission. V8 cars were all 230's. The floor shift slant 6's got the 230 too. I've never seen one with a column shift, but, that doesn't mean none were made. All the column shift ones I've seen had the 903, which IMO is a piece of junk. The '71 column won't fit your '66. Neither will the pedal assembly or clutch linkage without modification. What are you converting from in your '66?

Oh, and one other thing, the 230 uses the 29 spline yoke like the '68-up (and '67 big block) 4 speed and 727, the 903 uses the 25 spline like the 904 auto and '66-7 833's behind a slant or S.B..

A slant 6 in '71 could have either a 230 or 903 transmission. V8 cars were all 230's. The floor shift slant 6's got the 230 too. I've never seen one with a column shift, but, that doesn't mean none were made. All the column shift ones I've seen had the 903, which IMO is a piece of junk. The '71 column won't fit your '66. Neither will the pedal assembly or clutch linkage without modification. What are you converting from in your '66?

I've not had the first problem with mine yet and I would just "guess" the engine I have in it now is probably a tic more than 200HP. Of course, I don't snatch it around, either. I drive it respectably. I will make the swap to the A230 though and I may burn some rubber then.

While you can "make" it work I think it would be far easier to find and buy the correct year parts for your conversion. While floor shift 4spd parts for a '66 are scarce manual column shift parts are not, at least in my area.

I tried it very recently. The only reason it wouldn't work "for me" was the transmission tunnel was too narrow right where the shift levers are. I had the engine and transmission installed and BOLTED IN. It fits fine in that respect. There's just not enough room to get the linkage to hook up and I wasn't taking the time to make it work right then, since I could have the car RIGHT back on the road by putting the A903 back in it. All it should take to make it work is pushing the transmission tunnel a little wider in that area with a port a power. I would have done that if that's ALL I had to do, but it wasn't. I have a slip yoke drive shaft too, but it's too long. It needs about 1.5" cut off and I wasn't going to have the car down that long. I'll do all that the next time I put the car down.

Yup, the 230 is a real good and strong 3 speed. It's built close in appearance to the 833. Another very good 3 speed is the 745 in the earlier models. Those even came behind a big block.

Yup, the 230 is a real good and strong 3 speed. It's built close in appearance to the 833. Another very good 3 speed is the 745 in the earlier models. Those even came behind a big block.

So did the 230. I do have an extra A903. I think I will swap in the 230 eventually though. I'll probably never need it, because I just don't abuse my car....but it'll be in there in case I change my mind. lol

I don't remember seeing any 230's behind a big block. What year and model had them?

I don't remember seeing any 230's behind a big block. What year and model had them?

I don't know, but I HAVE a dedicated A230 big block bellhousing. The casting number says it's a C body. The A230 shared the bellhousing bolt pattern with no other transmission, so that kinda narrows it down. lol

Thanks for all the responses. I've already committed to it so I went over yesterday and sprayed all the fasteners, I'll go back over this weekend and get started on it. I get the driveshaft as well so that should alleviate that problem. The interior is gutted at the moment so if I have to make some tunnel mods it should be a little easier. Also, I'm converting from a 904.

Thanks for all the responses. I've already committed to it so I went over yesterday and sprayed all the fasteners, I'll go back over this weekend and get started on it. I get the driveshaft as well so that should alleviate that problem. The interior is gutted at the moment so if I have to make some tunnel mods it should be a little easier. Also, I'm converting from a 904.

Cool. When you get it, update this thread with pictures and we can help you identify it.

Cool. When you get it, update this thread with pictures and we can help you identify it.
Got the engine and trans out today. This is the only photo I have of it. I'll take some close-ups tomorrow when I go back to get it. The car was two hundred yards back in the woods behind the barn and it required a dozer 2 drag it up to the barn and then we use the backhoe with a bucket on the front to pull it out. Tomorrow I'll go back and get the column and all the linkage,pedal assembly, driveshaft. The crossmember was almost nonexistent it was so rotted. I will either have to find one or see if mine from the 904 can be modified. I'll know more tomorrow when I get all of this home and can start comparing. Thanks for your reply.View attachment 1715755012View attachment 1715755012

For whatever reason the photos didn't load. As I said I'll take some more photos tomorrow if I can't get them uploaded

-
Back