Three on the Tree slop

-

bembry

Reaction score
Anyone have tips on how to get rid of the slop in my 3 spd tranny? It's a column shift, 63 Dart Slant 6.

The linkage is really sloppy, and I can jam the gears very easily if I'm not being precise. :(

Look for bushings where the rods connect to the arms on the column. A friend just did his on a 77 1/2 ton Dodge pickup and said that they were still avalible from Chrysler.
I cannot say for sure but have been told that the bushings are the same on all column 3 speed shifters. Again I cannot say this is a correct statement.

If you can figure out what ID and OD diameter bushings you need, Brewers Performance has lots of shifter bushings in stock. They are for four speeds but it wouldn't surprise me if some were the same size(s) as what you may need. Certainly worth a look.

You can take up some of the slop in the lower column levers by turning the plastic bushing that they rub against. The holes in the metal column jacket are slotted so if you loosen the bolts, you can turn the bushing to tighten up the clearence. Lube everything in site with a good quality grease. If you have a lot of wear in the shift rods, get some washers the right size and add them under the clips to help tighten up those joints as well.

-
Back