Three on the tree

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 66 170/ standard three on the tree.
What trans do I have ? and are the three speed floor shift trans the same?
I am thinking of going to the floor and would like a floor shifter that will bolt up to my tranny like oem, Does the trans have the holes for the floor shifter to bolt too? or are they differant. I have been looking at an old chilton's auto repair manual 1966 to 73 It just shows a Top cover transmition for the slant 6 I quess i am asking if I found a factory slant six 3 speed shifter will it bold on or will I have to make a mounting plate.

This is a hurst shift linkage, So I guess I will need this bracket my pen is pointing to. Saginaw 3 speed shift linkage .

Or is there a factory system ?

DOMINOS 076.jpg

You know if it was me I would go with a 4 speed since you have to put in the hump for the floor shift any way. And I would say you would need the bracket if oyu stay with the 3 speed

I agree. Three on the tree. Four in the floor. That's the rules LOL

well yall didn't zactly answer his question LoL,Mike I am not positive but I think there is a diffrence,but I am not sure,so if someone knows the answer please help a brother out,I have the three on the floor shifter and all of the linkages and the trans but I remember my first car,a 69 valiant 3 on tree and transmissions were visibly diffrent but that was decades ago and I was just fourteen at the time so maybe I am wrong.any that can help please do,nuthin wrong with three on the floor with a factory shifter.I'm gonna go out and look over my three speed collection and see if I can figure this out

Wow a lot of time has past since I have even thought about a three speed trans in a street car,I use them in ovaltrack and figure eight racing all of the time with home built shifters,but I am amazed at what I remember from childhood about this subject,as suspected they are diffrent here are some pic's looks like you will need an aftermarket shifter such as a mr gasket or hurst or make a bracket such as the one on the service manual.

3onfloortransandshifter.JPG

tailshaft3onfloor.JPG

3 on tree trans.JPG

b body 3 on flor trans.JPG

Mike, you should have an A230 trans. as far as converting it to a floor shift you will have to look for the mounting pad at the tailshaft. a friends 3 on the tree had it but i have heard some didn't.

Looks like dartcuda and waggin has pretty much nailed it for you Mike. There aren't any pads on the tail to mount a shifter on the transmission you have and you will have to cut the floor and find a shifter hump. Since the shifter hump has to be from a '64-'66 they can be hard to find and pricey. Probably the best bet would be Brewer's. They have an affordable hump in fiberglass. Took me 2 years to find an original one for Hester and I paid more for it than I should have. Once you have a hump, you can either get an aftermarket shifter kit for your transmission or swap in something else. If you decide to keep a 3 speed, which will allow you to keep your current bellhousing and front driveshaft yoke, you will need one from '68 to '76. They have the shifter bosses and SYNCHROS on low gear but the ratios are a little higher in 1st and 2nd gear.
Here's what I did for Hester. Went out and found a setup from a slant 6 Volare/Aspen and used an OD 4 speed. The truck/van stuff won't work.You will need the bellhousing, clutch fork, the tin covers, the transmission and shifter, and the front yoke. Bolts right in, uses the same clutch and rear mount, and the clutch linkage lines right up with the fork. You will need to swap the speedometer drive from Victoria into the 4 speed and change the front yoke on the driveshaft. You wind up with a 3 speed with the same ratios you have now with an overdrive for cruising. Win, win.

ahh,we can make a decent looking floor hump,I have a rusty one to copy from so I wheel see what I can cook up,just look around for a mr gasket three speed floor shifter and we can put a diffrent stick and handle on it to suit your needs,nuthin wrong with a 3 on the floor if you like it!!! we like it!!!once you have the floor hump installed you can look for a four speed setup later down the road and it will be a bolt in upgrade for later when you find all the parts. do you have the ball and trunion driveshaft or the slide in front yoke?

I sure do want to thank everyone here and Waggin I will have to go outside and look at the drive shaft grumpuscreature is on to something from a
61 Valiant floor shifter on Ebay it bolt's to the floor.
Item # number 110371296514 =P~

Mike, you have the regular slip yoke driveshaft. The last year for the ball and trunnion was 1965.

A guy I know that has this style out of a 73 Duster. It is complete w/ shifter and linkage........Will this work Mike?

That's just like the one i have but in much nicer shape,a direct bolt in except for the speedometer deal thingie
A guy I know that has this style out of a 73 Duster. It is complete w/ shifter and linkage........Will this work Mike?

-
Back