throttle body to carburetor swap

-

sonier

Reaction score
I have a 89 TBI 318 engine conencted to either a 904 or 727 transmission. I can not diagnose why my TBI is sending no spark, and i dont have the tools to do any elctrical work on engines, I know how to work on chevy 350s but im a mopar guy i just havnt gotten to getting my dodge running. I am at the point where Im about to work on it, how hard is to convert a 89 318 TBI engine to carburetor, im worried especially about the dizzy, cause a normal gear dizzy will not work since mine has a camshaft sensor and a slot drive gear at the bottom of dizzy. This is what i have came up with

-Engine swap maybe to a carbed 360
--will a carbed engine work with my computer or do i have to disable my computer in the truck
--will my transmission bolt up too my new small block engine
-- do i need to have a balanced flexplate if i switch engines?
-swap TBI to carb
--Will a carb work in conjunction with a TBI engine?

Any help would be appreciated i need the less cost effective route.

It would be less effective but it also means i still dont know how to work on my own vehicle and that hurts lol Ive replaced camshafts in my 69 blazer, i've done transmission swaps, I just feel it is important that i get too where if it breaks down I know what went wrong. :)

I wanted to add that i have a complete running 440 and transmission to go with it at my disposal as well. how hard would it be too drop this engine into my 89 d-100 Ram

To convert you engine over to carburated operation you need;
1. A carb of course, the intake manifold is for a 2bbl. If you go 4bbl a 4bbl intake would be a better choice than an adapter.
2. An electronic ignition distributor and ecu. These are available as a kit with the distributor, wiring harnes and control module from places like Summit Racing, Jegs, Mancini, etc. Or, you could piece it together from parts from a 70's vehicle.

One comment you say a 904 or 727 tranny. An 89 vehicle would have had an A500 or A518 4spd overdrive tranny with a lock-up torque converter (these are based on the 904 or 727 but have the extra gear). The OD and lock-up is controlled by the computer that controls the igntion and EFI. You will need to do something to control shifting into 4th and locking the torque converter. This can be as simple as a switch or you can rig some pressure switches and make it happen automatically.

What happened with the transmission is, i blew the original in my dodge ram d-100, i swapped that transmission with my 89 dodge ramchargers, this transmission was about 4 inches shorter then the previous, after the swap The transmission was slipping, it has around 180k miles on it, so im geared more to dropping this RV 440 and transmission into it. my RV has bout 40k miles on everything. Im pretty sure my current trany wont last long esspecially this truck being a farm work truck i haul hay with this truck, dirt post's anything on the farm, so im geared towards the big block idea. How hard would it be to drop the 440 in my truck? and bypass all the electronics?

-
Back