Throttle cable length

-

eestatic

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the throttle cable length for a '65 Barracuda 273/904 is same, longer or shorter than a cable off a '66 Belvedere w/a slant 6 3spd column shift?

Thanks Fabo!

Slant cable is always longer. Slant B Body cable, much longer.

I heading in the direction of obtaining hardware from Bouchillon Performance for connecting my TorqueFlite Kickdown Cable Kit and read where instance of 273 throttle cable may be too short if intending on using it, but a slant six cable could suffice. I scavenged a throttle cable off of my 66 Belvedere donar /6, preemptively...

I always think of those kickdown cable kits as a band aid type of thing.
Think about it. Chrysler could have very easily used a cable to operate that system, but instead spent a good bit of money engineering very sturdy mechanical linkages for each of the various body and engine combinations.
They had their reasons.
GM did use a cable for their kickdown system, but that functions differently than the Chrysler.
If you're just slapping the car together for a flip, use the cable. If its a keeper, put the right linkage on it.

I always think of those kickdown cable kits as a band aid type of thing.
Think about it. Chrysler could have very easily used a cable to operate that system, but instead spent a good bit of money engineering very sturdy mechanical linkages for each of the various body and engine combinations.
They had their reasons.
GM did use a cable for their kickdown system, but that functions differently than the Chrysler.
If you're just slapping the car together for a flip, use the cable. If its a keeper, put the right linkage on it.

Thank you for your contributions & explanations!

Going from a 2bb/ factory setup to a performer intake w/a Holley 4175, it appears the factory rod is to short. Not sure about angles yet.

Possible to lengthen factory rod with retaining adjustment capabilities..?

Thanks FABO!

Thank you for your contributions & explanations!

Going from a 2bb/ factory setup to a performer intake w/a Holley 4175, it appears the factory rod is to short. Not sure about angles yet.

Possible to lengthen factory rod with retaining adjustment capabilities..?

Thanks FABO!

from many years playing with piecing these old cars back together, I admit there are a few things that work better if CORRECT OEM, throttle cable and kickdown linkage are 2 that come to mind. a GOOD fabricator can cut, weld a good working kickdown . but if not working right, it WILL fry the tranny. if you ever drive it!?? IMO

from many years playing with piecing these old cars back together, I admit there are a few things that work better if CORRECT OEM, throttle cable and kickdown linkage are 2 that come to mind. a GOOD fabricator can cut, weld a good working kickdown . but if not working right, it WILL fry the tranny. if you ever drive it!?? IMO

On a temporary basis, if kick down linkage is not hooked up, will that adversely affect transmission?

Thanks

-
Back