throttle cable problems

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
Not sure where I should post this. But I recently bought a Lokar throttle cable and kickdown kit. got everything installed and looks good. Only problem that i'm having is that the travel of the pedal is greater than the travel of the carburetor throttle lever..

does that make sense? not sure if i'm saying it right. but pretty much I lift up the gas pedal all of the way, and secure the other end of the cable to the carburetor arm. Then if i push down the gas pedal, it hits wide open throttle before the pedal hits the floor.

what have you guys done with similar problems to this?

I'm thinking i'll have to build some sort of stop so that the pedal "bottoms out" before hitting the floor..

hopefully what i'm saying makes sense..

any help is appreciated

"I'm thinking i'll have to build some sort of stop so that the pedal "bottoms out" before hitting the floor"

Thats one way to do it, or make something to make the carb linkage longer from where the throttle shaft pivots.

When I installed my throttle cable I pushed the pedal to the floor then opened the throttle wide open then secured the stop with a lil play maybe an 1/8 that way you dont end up pulling the end off the cable

chris

If you can't adjust it out, then the easiest way to fix this is probably to attach the cable to a point on the carburetor's throttle lever that is farther away from the pivot axis (throttle shaft). That way the linear travel of the cable will be longer from throttle-closed to throttle-open. If you're out of space at the end of the throttle lever, make an extension out of a short piece of 1/8" steel or aluminum, drilled at both ends. Attach one end to the hole in the throttle lever with a bolt and nylon-insert locknut, and attach the throttle cable to the hole in the other end. This will also give you some adjustability; by loosening the locknut and rotating the extension, you can fine-tune the effective distance from the pivot axis to the throttle cable.

When I installed my throttle cable I pushed the pedal to the floor then opened the throttle wide open then secured the stop with a lil play maybe an 1/8 that way you dont end up pulling the end off the cable

chris

thanks everyone for your help. and thankd especially chris. This is what I was thinking of doing. and I don't understand why the directions dont say to do it this way in the first place.. If for some reason it doesn't work out though, i'll fabricate something up on the carb lever..

I'm with SlantSixDan. Check to see if there's a provision for altering the length of the linkage on the carb or the pedal pivot. If not, go with Chris' suggestion of adjusting it at full throttle to prevent pulling anything apart.

-
Back