Throttle cable querry

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a '74 Duster with a swapped 318 in place of the /6. The throttle cable is way to long from the /6 to the 318. Besides year one, ($$$$$$$$$$$$) where can I get one or better yet, will a Volare's cable work?
Any forseen problems in a 2bbl to 4bbl. length difference?

Rumble fish,
I guess you are looking for a factory replacement or could you use an aftermarket cable? I have some 24" stainless braided universal throttle cables (which you can cut to lenth) for around $36 bucks and a throttle bracket for $9 bucks plus the shipping of course. I use one on my Cuda and it seems to work great and looks decent too. These are a cheaper version of Lokar's products. If you're interested let me know.
X

Rumblefish, rockauto.com has a listing for a 19 1/2" throttle cable for a 74, 318 2bbl Dart Sport. It runs less than $20 plus shipping. I don't think you will have any cable issues if you swap to a four barrel, (I didn't have cable problems when I put a Torker and a 600 Holley on my 73 318 van) but you will have to lengthen the kickdown rod to the tranny if you have an automatic, it doesn't have enough adjustment to make up the length difference, at least not on a van. I also had to come up with a different throttle return spring. In case you are wondering what sort of idiot would run such a setup, bear in mind that it was 33 years ago, I was 20 years old, and I've learned a little since then. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

I picked up a stock 4bbl, car, throttle cable for a buddy of mine just a couple days ago from the junkyard. There might be one more there, usually cars come/go fairly quickly. Bought it and shipped it for about $5. I'll do the same if you need one, I'll try and track one down for you ata yard.

grumpuscreature, ya know I did the same thing years ago on my E body Cuda. It was a 340. Got it as a 318 so I didn't think much of the TorkerII and Holley on top. (Mid 80's) I'll try the local auto store for the cable.
I was 20 years old, and I've learned a little since then. Hope this helps.
LOL, Yes it does. And I know just what you mean. The crazy things I did when I was 18 - ??? , it's amazing in what you can get away with.

GoodysGotaCuda; If I only had a junk yard that carried old cars........Actually, I do. It's only about 30 miles away and charge more than NOS.

Xstream; Now theres an idea. If the local store falls through........
I also need, now that you mention lokar, a kick down cable. The swap isn't as smooth as one would hope. The '79 inkage hits the fire wall. I think the stock 4bbl. linkage, with the adjustable rods and 2 bell cranks would work just fine. But that one rod deal from 2bbl.'s aint a gonna cut it.

Thanks for the ideas and tips guys! :toothy7:

-
Back