Throttle sticking

-

remytherat

Reaction score
My throttle recently started sticking just above idle when I take my foot off the gas. If I push up on the pedal from underneath it returns to idle. This is a 69 dart with the 2bbl linkage and a 340 intake, although it used to work fine. Does it just need lubrication? What are some things I can check?

Take off cable from carb.

See if its the cable or the carb by isolation.

Could be throttle linkage.

Could be a peice of the cable snagging on something.

What he^said.

To lube the cable [ throttle, speedo, shifter etc ]. Keep it upright. Dribble in some ATF or p/steer fluid [ not engine oil, it dries out ]. Keep dribbling until it comes out the other end.

I used that white Teflon spray once. I don't believe ill do that again. Pretty messy. Or was it graphite? Can't remember.

You're just gonna have to to the dreaded diagnosis thing and find out. As mentioned, isolate the carburetor from the linkage by disconnecting the linkage at the carburetor and see if it still does it. Beyond that, you're just going to have to actually get in there and LOOK.

You're just gonna have to to the dreaded diagnosis thing and find out. As mentioned, isolate the carburetor from the linkage by disconnecting the linkage at the carburetor and see if it still does it. Beyond that, you're just going to have to actually get in there and LOOK.
You mean you can’t just plug a computer into it and it will tell you what is wrong and it fixes it?

I occasionally have to shoot a little lube down my cable, as it gets a little sticky.
I just pinch the tube of the PB together with the carb end of the cable housing with my fingers and give it a 2-3 second shot and it’s fine again for 6 months or so.
It dribbles a bit, so put a rag under it.

This reminds me that I want to lube mine again as I am leaving on a multi hundred mile trip this morning.

-
Back