Throw out bearing

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
Who makes a quality throw out bearing for my 833 four speed
The bearing came as a conversion kit from Brewers and its got hardly a hundred miles on it and nosy when I step on the clutch
Im thinking of changing it before the nice weather starts
Thanks

The bearing came as a conversion kit from Brewers and its got hardly a hundred miles on it and nosy when I step on the clutch
Thanks
As far as I know, Timken is still made here. It needs to have TIMKEN written ONE THE PART though, not just the box. A lot of tomfoolery goin on with reboxing.

Thanks
I buy mine from napa. I bought 2. So far 18 years on the 1st.

Thanks
Clutch adjusted properly? What is the air gap between the clutch fingers and the bearing with the pedal is out?

With the pedal OUT, the air gap is zero.

So theres 2 pedal sets 67-73, one for 3/4 spd economy non performance..and another for 273 4brl/340/383 etc performance models..so somewhere having trouble catching gears while racing around and so they would tighten it up so that there was always some tension on the throwout bearing... some those folks have premature failure.

Clutch adjusted properly? What is the air gap between the clutch fingers and the bearing with the pedal is out?
Dont know but will look, Clutch seems to be adjusted ok. Just enough free play, doesnt grind but that bearing sounds lousy the clutch is engaged

Dont know but will look, Clutch seems to be adjusted ok. Just enough free play, doesnt grind but that bearing sounds lousy the clutch is engaged
When you installed it how did you adjust it? How did you check if the adjustment was right? If you just checked free play in the pedal I would bet the bearing is riding on the pressure plate fingers. If it is there's a good chance you ruined your pressure plate as well.

When you installed it how did you adjust it? How did you check if the adjustment was right? If you just checked free play in the pedal I would bet the bearing is riding on the pressure plate fingers. If it is there's a good chance you ruined your pressure plate as well.
How much gap do you need between bearing and pressure plate fingers?

Im going out there soon and pull the inspection cover. I dont think I adjusted correctly. When I think about it, I figure well under 100 miles on it so I hope I didnt screw up the PP
Will post later on and thanks

Then it's toast. Makes noise under load and it's gone. Some of the cheaper ones kinda rattle and wh
How much gap do you need between bearing and pressure plate fingers?
I'm not sure there's an actual spec there. That's what you're adjusting when you adjust free travel in the clutch pedal. Get the free travel right and the rest will fall into place.

Then it's toast. Makes noise under load and it's gone. Some of the cheaper ones kinda rattle and wh

I'm not sure there's an actual spec there. That's what you're adjusting when you adjust free travel in the clutch pedal. Get the free travel right and the rest will fall into place.
Thank you

There might not be a spec. I adjusted my pedal free play to about 3" at the top and ended up smoking a bearing and tearing up the pp fingers. It only takes 1/16" in the wrong direction at the t/o bearing to do damage. With the pedal out, the bearing is not supposed to ride on the pp fingers. PERIOD. Adjust it right down below and the free play will be what it is. It all has to do with pp finger height and how good or worn your linkage is.

There might not be a spec. I adjusted my pedal free play to about 3" at the top and ended up smoking a bearing and tearing up the pp fingers. It only takes 1/16" in the wrong direction at the t/o bearing to do damage. With the pedal out, the bearing is not supposed to ride on the pp fingers. PERIOD. Adjust it right down below and the free play will be what it is. It all has to do with finger height and how good or worn your linkage is.
Exactly. That's WHY there's a free travel spec. As long as there's any free travel at all, the throw out bearing isn't on the clutch fingers. I think the general spec for most everything is from 1/2" to 1" free travel. Anywhere in that range is good. Anymore and it needs adjusting. I'm glad this came up actually, because I need to adjust Gladys' free travel. It's gotten a little too much through the years. lol

Exactly. That's WHY there's a free travel spec. As long as there's any free travel at all, the throw out bearing isn't on the clutch fingers. I think the general spec for most everything is from 1/2" to 1" free travel. Anywhere in that range is good. Anymore and it needs adjusting. I'm glad this came up actually, because I need to adjust Gladys' free travel. It's gotten a little too much through the years. lol
Most clutches loose free travel as they wear.

I just look up in my 70 Factory service manual. "(3) Adjust fork rod by turning self locking adjusting nut (Figs. 6 or 7) to provide 5/32 inch free movement at end of fork. This movement will provide predescribed ons inch free play at pedal"

I misadjusted the free play (too much) and caused the issue. If the adjustment down below is right there won't be an issue. I rest my case.

Most clutches loose free travel as they wear.
It depends on how the linkage is set up. Which side of the Z bar is actuated from. On these old Ford trucks, the free travel increase with wear.

I just look up in my 70 Factory service manual. "(3) Adjust fork rod by turning self locking adjusting nut (Figs. 6 or 7) to provide 5/32 inch free movement at end of fork. This movement will provide predescribed ons inch free play at pedal"

I misadjusted the free play (too much) and caused the issue. If the adjustment down below is right there won't be an issue. I rest my case.
What do you mean you "rest your case"? I was never arguing.

-
Back