Thumbs up to Howard's cams

-

64mopar

Reaction score
With the lack of cores out there,Howard's managed to get my cam to me in a crunch.
Then after a hiccup,they had the lifters I needed and got them to me in two days.
Definitely a go to company in my opinion.

Just used one in my fathers engine, a mild solid roller. Made a very street friendly 575hp, 550tq

SSG
That is the same cam I got.
Should be a good one for my setup.
Are you using a roller block or la?

That look like a nasty cam! .600 lift, 245/253@.050, Centerline: 104

The cam in my dad's engine is 241@.050, .650 lift, 112LSA

They need to list all specs, the description is lacking imo.
Yep..104 is getting dirty....but i wanna know where the int closes and lsa etc..and dont wanna do math right now. Lol my 108lsa 104 int cl sounds nasty'ish...but really isn't.
I think my purple shaft had a dirtier idle.

I've never ran a Howard cam but I would not hesitate, they have some really nice grinds and have never heard anything negative about the quality of their cores.

Yep..104 is getting dirty....but i wanna know where the int closes and lsa etc..and dont wanna do math right now. Lol my 108lsa 104 int cl sounds nasty'ish..

230BE419-D802-47DB-86DA-B3511C9CB71C.jpeg

That's a lot of cam for a 340 I love it! That sticks nastier and a two-headed dong :eek:

That's mild yet wild.Nice street cam.
Really close to my Herbert grind.
Mine closes at 46 abdc@.050 too and that's where I put it in. iirr its 251@.050 108/104 281 adv duration or 288 single pattern .575 lift. Tire ripping sob that will damn near jump out and leave the car behind. No joke... itll break tire flooring it from a hwy cruise speed. A monster.
A mild street solid roller I had lift taken out of. I dont want much over .500-.550 on anything I street drive.
Has a 850 idle rpm ...smooth a singer freshly greased 'quieter than any solid flat being @.016 lash. Quiet motor...except for the exhaust note.
The howard seems to be a nice cam and with the right heads can easily produce mid 550 hp and be plenty street friendly.

And I will also add that about 12 years ago when I bought the cam and told everybody about it on this site there were some big names and even vendors who turn their nose up at the cam as if it sucked ... meanwhile they were using 110 lsa cams...aka rv cams with more lift when in 400+cid...
I tried a 110 .573 ....it was done after 6600...
This solid roller parties on as where I turn back ... never again will I bother with 110 in 400 cids
Now people catch on

Last edited:
Two months ago I ordered a Howards 710931-12 set for a 68 340 in my 71 Sweptline. They had it in stock and I had it within a week. Install and break in went smoothly. Very happy with their service and products.

They must have blanks back in stock then?
I waited 3 months before cancellation.

They need to list all specs, the description is lacking imo.
Yep..104 is getting dirty....but i wanna know where the int closes and lsa etc..and dont wanna do math right now. Lol my 108lsa 104 int cl sounds nasty'ish...but really isn't.
I think my purple shaft had a dirtier idle.
Cylinder displacement is a big factor. Use David Vizard's 128 rule with int valve diameter to calculate LCA. For a serious build, fine tune the LCA and installed angle on a dyno. For a street engine to have a smoother idle, a degree or two more on LCA can be fine.

Cylinder displacement is a big factor. Use David Vizard's 128 rule with int valve diameter to calculate LCA. For a serious build, fine tune the LCA and installed angle on a dyno. For a street engine to have a smoother idle, a degree or two more on LCA can be fine.
Yes, I just didnt want to do any figuring atm I was busy in between working on stuff.

Last edited:
I think the visit rules are good rule though there are some variables to that with different ports/velocities

-
Back