Thumbwheel Radio

-

CdnValiant

1969 451-S
Reaction score
The radio pictured was in a 69 Barracuda, but is not the correct radio. Others I see have Plymouth, Dodge or Chrysler on the frequency display. It works ok other than it won't completely power down. Volume goes to near zero but can still be faintly heard on a quiet bench test. Any ideas on what car this is from and anyone have a correct 69 Barracuda radio.
IMG_5629.JPG
IMG_5630.JPG
IMG_5631.JPG
IMG_5632.JPG
IMG_5633.JPG
IMG_5634.JPG
IMG_5635.JPG
IMG_5636.JPG
IMG_5638.JPG
IMG_5639.JPG

Well, the parts book says a 69 Barracuda should have a Model 244, part 2884055.

Model # and part # given are correct. Your 0019# number is not a part#. Paper tag w/ part# and model# are missing on your radio. Your radio should be correct for your car but two things about it concern me. #1- the face should say "Sold State By Plymouth", yours doesn't. #2-the rear mounting stud is not correct for mounting in a Barracuda. I think you may have a Dart radio with a chrome front mounting plate from a Barracuda (which I have done). You say that it doesn't mount to your car, does that explain it?

Model # and part # given are correct. Your 0019# number is not a part#. Paper tag w/ part# and model# are missing on your radio. Your radio should be correct for your car but two things about it concern me. #1- the face should say "Sold State By Plymouth", yours doesn't. #2-the rear mounting stud is not correct for mounting in a Barracuda. I think you may have a Dart radio with a chrome front mounting plate from a Barracuda (which I have done). You say that it doesn't mount to your car, does that explain it?
The rear mounting stud is the problem. Without rear support, there is a lot of stress on the two front mounting points. If I don't find the correct radio, I may try to reposition the rear stud or if I find a non working correct radio, see if I can transplant my parts into the correct box. Every other radio I've seen has the Plymouth or Dodge ID on the face. If from a Dodge, a previous owner may have scraped of the ID.

The correct rear mounting stud is mounted on the bottom cover for Barracuda. You should be able to swap that cover from a donor to mount that radio. If you need to be "correct", you will need to find a new radio. Good luck.

The correct rear mounting stud is mounted on the bottom cover for Barracuda. You should be able to swap that cover from a donor to mount that radio. If you need to be "correct", you will need to find a new radio. Good luck.
I am not too concerned with being absolutely correct as, except for the missing Plymouth ID on the face, the radio looks fine in my dash. I do want it to be securely mounted at the back. A swap for the correct bottom cover would work for me.
Thanks for the replies.

If originality isn't important to you, you could always use plumber's tape to support the rear of the radio. It's easy to cut and bend.

If originality isn't important to you, you could always use plumber's tape to support the rear of the radio. It's easy to cut and bend.
Thanks for the idea. I am not concerned so much with "numbers" originality, but will be sure it looks and works like originally installed.

-
Back