Thunder and snow in February

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just a little unusual. Snow yes. Even rain occasionally as we live in Chinook country. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard thunder in February running along with light snow fall! No lightning......yet.

Southern Alberta. If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute.

Ok, my daughter just informed me lightning is striking!

Snow, thunder and lightning in February. First time in my life to see that.

Last edited:
We get thunder snow here every few years when it snows heavily enough. I think it’s kinda cool when it happens.

It's an unusual weather event but it does happen. I don't think we've ever had "thundersnow" here but it would be cool.

I was in Colorado Springs in the late 90's, Late in the afternoon it started snowing & then the thunder came. Shortly after that, it started hailing something fierce. I was in a rental car & couldn't get back to it the hail was so bad. Once the hailstorm passed on, the wasn't a straight panel or uncracked glass on my rental. When I returned the rent car, I was asked if I had purchased the renters insurance. I showed them that I had & walked away, the car was a total loss.

I was working in burns Oregon (high desert) about 25 years ago. It was 70 degrees summer morning..all the sudden the sky got dark in a matter of minutes & it f'n snowed for a minute then rained a lakes worth in 30 minutes, sky cleared & it was 70 again, lol.

We get thunder snow here. THe local tv weatherman get's all excited about it. LOL

Well, the thunder was so random that if you were not looking in the right direction you did it see the lightning. It was pretty weird. Now that is over with and we are back to the usual.......wind warnings! 120kmh gusts on and off for the last few days........ok, years......ok, my whole life! But it does seem to be getting more intense the last 10 or so years.

We had thunder snow in the blizzard of 93. I'd never heard of anything like that, and it was kinda scary! Snowing to hard you couldn't even see, lightning cracking every few seconds and thundering like hell. :eek: :realcrazy:

Yea we had the thunder snow here north of you in Calgary. First started as rain with lightning and thunder, changed to hail and then heavy snow. Had it all within 2 hours!

Thunder with no lightning?
Good trick!
When we get thunder snow here, it is usually during heavy white-out conditions in the daytime and so the lightning flash is often missed...but the thunder is unmistakeable. We have only had it at night a few times that I can ever remember. On those occasions, we always saw the flash.

-
Back