Thunder AVS clogged with debris

-

fratzog lover

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with a new carb being affected by particulate matter? Took the dart to get the wheels balanced, and halfway there I think my car is running funny. When I get there, I stand behind the exhaust and listen and it sounds like a 4 cylinder John Deere! Go home check the wires cause I have new ones in the basement. On go the Taylor wires, no difference. Now Im wondering bad lifter maybe,- it happened too quick for a cam lobe, what gives? Off to my mechanic who swears its the new 650 avs. So I trust him and he has his carb guy buy a rebuild kit and take it apart. Turns out he was right, runs better than before, I can hear the cam again. No more tractor music. Should a new carb have machining/manufacturing debris in it that was big enough to mess with the idle circuit, or did I get a one in a million carb?

You PROBABLY have crap in the fuel system. My old Landcruiser was a constant battle. It had some sort of dust / rust / stuff that made it past TWO filters. "How did I know?" Because I had THREE filters in the system.............and an AC sediment bowl, and I STILL had to pull the carb apart once in awhile to clean the thing out.

And of course this happened at the GREATEST possible time, like some horrid sidehill on Badly Mountain with 6 other "Jeepers"

The filter was new-1500 miles but I told them to change it anyway. They seemed to think it was from manufacturing process. You hear horror stories about cylinder heads and such with shavings everywhere. Now I know why most FABO members talk about disassembling, cleaning and measuring new parts they buy.

When my engine was on dyno with new Holley 870 street avenger, it started running rich. Tore down float bowl and needle seat and found thread cuttings in needle seat assy.

Well, is it the type of debris from fuel system or manufacturing debris?
I have had fuel filters fail to stop debris from tank. Replaced fuel filter, no more debris in float valves or in bottom of float bowl.

I usually will allow the fuel pump to pump / flush the system beyond the filter after a new filter change so any debris in the system is dumped.

-
Back