ThunderHead289 carbcheater

-

Jeff Seighman

aka jeffnmo
Reaction score
Have any of you guys seen ThunderHead289 video of the carb cheater for Edelbrock or Holley carbs, supposed to make them some what self adjusting? I don't know how to down load his video but it seems interesting?

I started watching it on my phone, which sucks so I stopped. Then I forgot about it.

Ill go have a look.

Go to you tube, the 1st one I watched he put a lawn mower carb on his Maverick and says he was getting 40mpg on freeway, he made his own module to self-adjust an idle air control (IAC) motor from a throttle body and module gets a signal from an 02 sensor, he has adjustable parameters, and you use your phone to control it, he has added more features. I think when he gets it done it would be great for all carbureted vehicles that drive in different altitudes to self-adjust fuel trim. I'm about 1250 ft level in 25 min drive I can be at 6,000ft and 80 min if i go to the beach so I usually take a FI vehicle to the mountains.

Seemed like a clever & effective setup, not that I'd employ it personally, maybe on the right prospect. Maybe the 350 in the Cutlass, dismal 12-13mpg iirc, ran great but....

Ok, so I watched the video, a pretty simple install and with the 02 I understand how it processes the info, BUT how dose it actually adjust the mix? The only thing hooked to the carb is two vacuum lines? What am I missing here?

Ok, I think I get it, it uses a IAC valve and then probably uses it it add air to the carb through the vacuum lines to adjust the mixture, what do you guys think, I know some will say get a sniper efi but this is way more reasonable IF it worked?

Last edited:
Ok, so I watched the video, a pretty simple install and with the 02 I understand how it processes the info, BUT how dose it actually adjust the mix? The only thing hooked to the carb is two vacuum lines? What am I missing here?
It's basically a controlled air bleed. So, your carb would need to be set up rich and his system would autocorrect for this rich condition by adding the correct amount of air. At least that's how I understand it.

It's basically a controlled air bleed. So, your carb would need to be set up rich and his system would autocorrect for this rich condition by adding the correct amount of air. At least that's how I understand it.
Correct, they used to have mixture control solenoids for fuel control in carbs, it's the opposite it controls air so you can do some more fine tuning and it self-tuning for different altitudes. I see the best benefit on 1&2 bbl. engines with less carb parts available for fine tuning. I've not seen his kit yet, thanks rumblefish360 for the link. I will need to check on the price.

Why not simply learn how to correctly tune a carburetor? Wouldn't you be ahead of the game?

It could be a good compensator for altitude changes.

-
Back