Tick-Tick-Ticking Sound - Pinging?

-

mrichard

Reaction score
All - I have a base 1972 Dart. Slant 6, 225c.i.

I drive it about 3 days a week into work, and it runs like a top. It had 39k original miles on it when I bought it. Near mint interior, trunk, etc. Engline-wise, my previous owner had just done a valve job and tune-up.

Now when I'm driving I get a discernable tick-tick-ticking sound that increases as I accelerate.

Is this pinging? I use a 93 octane gas in it, but perhaps need an additive.
Is this the valves?

What is this? And how can I fix it?

Thanks for any help here you can provide.

It could be a valve tick or an exhaust leak. If the sound gets louder, the harder you are on the throttle, I would guess exhaust leak, somewhere around the manifold.

I believe it was only about 5k miles ago that previous owner adjusted them. Definitely within 8k.

I've noticed the same sound in my slant 6. It's less pronounced when I put higher octane gas in it, but doesn't go away entirely. Since I don't know the last time the valves were checked/adjusted (I acquired the car just last year), I guess this is motivation for me to take care of this.

Steve

I'm going to try the route of a manifold gasket. Found a great article on it on Slant 6 Forum. We'll see if that does the trick.

Richard
I would do the valve adjustment first. It easier and may have NOT been done correctly. In the mean time do you have one of our Aussie Speed Thick manifold gaskets? PM me if you need one. Also PB Blaster time is now.
Frank

-
Back