Ticked off!

-

cjdive

Reaction score
OK...took my 67 Dart GT into the shop to have some work done (one of which was getting the entire gas tank / send unit replaced). There was a lot of work and they had the car for nearly 3 weeks. I had specific instructions that it was to be completed by TODAY because I had family coming in and we were taking the car to a show and a cruise out to a nice restaurant in the country.

So I start it up (SOUNDS GREAT- due to the new Doug's headers and finished exhaust...had to get quieter mufflers as they were way too loud) and drive it to the gas station to fill 'er up. To my surprise as I get to the FULL all this gas starts flowing from the top of the gas tank, under the car. And it does not stop. The manager asks me to leave the premises because it is a safety hazard. So I pull up to the shop where I had the work done and everyone has left for the day (it was around 5pm). I finally get a hold of the owner and no one will be in the shop until Monday...but he sent someone down to at least put it in the shop. So now I am out a car for this cruise and my family will not be able to see the car!!! Additionally, the speedo I asked them to work on is still pegged at 35mph (but does move normally when I pass that speed). I'm pissed.:cwm10:

Anyway- I assume it must be the seal or tube that goes fromthe top of the gas tank. I mean, the thing is brand new...how could they forget to seal it?

well my guess is that it is leaking from the sending unit not the fill tube... usually the locking ring on the sending unit doesn't put enough pressure on gaskets to seal so you can either double the gaskets up with sealer on them (let sit 24hrs) or try another ring... it seems to be hit and miss on the rings sealing...

as for the cluster issue sometimes the needle hits the high beam lense (i think thats what it was) so it gets stuck on one side or the other... did you have the cluster rebuilt?

The seal in the top of the tank is one tight fitting rascal. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't get together right. Anyway... I hope its not filling a shop with fuel and fumes. Good luck with it.

Thanks RedFish. One other question I wanted to pose. It looks like they added a manual choke cable to the Eddy carb. I know enough to know to pull it open when the engine is cold. Maybe a dumb question...but when the engine warms and and push the button back in to close...how does that work? I assume when I hammer on it will open back up without a problem, correct?

Thanks RedFish. One other question I wanted to pose. It looks like they added a manual choke cable to the Eddy carb. I know enough to know to pull it open when the engine is cold. Maybe a dumb question...but when the engine warms and and push the button back in to close...how does that work? I assume when I hammer on it will open back up without a problem, correct?

you have it backwards... when you pull the choke it closes the flap above the primary throttle blades... you do this when you first start the engine when cold...

then push in the choke like half way so it can idle to you drive it and then push in all the way...

Just was unsure how it was setup...something I saw before I got to look at it. He told me about the choke- but I only her of this on tractors :)

driving with the choke on will make it run like crap lol....

If it runs at all.

Right on the sending unit seal too, I just went through that on mine, I had to pull it back out (after filling the tank and finding a leak of course) and cut another gasket to take up the space.

If it runs at all.

Right on the sending unit seal too, I just went through that on mine, I had to pull it back out (after filling the tank and finding a leak of course) and cut another gasket to take up the space.

we had an original layin around and vs the re-po's the originals have more of a bevel and are thicker...

-
Back